Linux forum

General discussion

Need help designing home file server

by hooch19 / July 1, 2008 6:07 AM PDT

I would like to build a home file server that could also handle print server duties and, if possible, host some games that my son and I like to play. I have some minor exposure to Unix from a previous job and would like to try my hand at Linux. I would like some help, please, with determining some minimum specs for the machine.

Right now, I have 2 XP machines that would connect to it via a Belkin 4-port/wireless that I already have and I will be adding at least 2 other new machines down the road. It doesn't need to be web-accessible for now although, if I ever get high speed, I would like to have that option. I would also like to institute RAID for redundancy, not necessarily speed, as all of my photos/mp3s/etc. will be on it.

I have considered 4 options so far:

1. Buying a brand new PC with Windows so that I can play the games that we have and installing 3 ~500GB drives with RAID5(?) and installing Linux. Depending on the specs that you provide, it seems that this might be prohibitively expensive and I'm not sure if you can set up dual-boot on a machine that is already set up with Windows.

2. Buying a barebones machine, putting in the same drives and running Linux only. The problem is hosting the Windows games.

3. I have a lot of spare parts and have thought about seeing if I have enough to scavenge a machine together.

4. I have another Gateway machine currently with Win98 that I have considered converting, but I'm not sure that it would support the large drives that I am talking about using. Also, getting XP on it would be another expense. I believe that it has a 733MHz Pentium.

Also, can you suggest a distribution. From what I have read, Ubuntu seems to be popularly suggested for newbies.

I'm sure that I left out details that could be useful; let me know and I can add anything that you might want to know. I would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help designing home file server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help designing home file server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None of the above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 9:05 AM PDT

I've done this and now find it TOO EXPENSIVE to run such 24x7. Today I suggest any NAS even if you have to run Linux to get there. Look for any NAS but tell more why you want to burn 200 Watts when a NAS could come in under 20.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure about NAS
by hooch19 / July 2, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: None of the above.

I looked into using a NAS. My reservations there were that I had trouble finding one from a company that I trust that got good reviews from users. Also, I'm not that familiar with them, so I'm not sure how easy/inexpensive it would be to react to HD failures and such. It seemed also that you are stuck with proprietary software that doesn't have a proven track record. Lastly, I was somewhat looking forward to this project to get some Linux experience and expose my children to alternatives to Windows.

I appreciate your suggestion and I think that I will look into NAS as far as what is available and see if I can answer some of my own concerns. Thanks again, Bob.

Collapse -
Linux and reacting to HD failures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure about NAS

Can't say I've seen it do much better. There is the fine DROBO unit out there but I use simple NAS boxes now. I have some DLINK box and it's under 20 watts measured on my P3 Watt Meter.

The drives do not fail unless I do something bad like drop them. I am now at 10 years and counting so please share why drive failures are plaguing you.

Back to the PC, Linux and a file server. Well, yes it does that and you can get too much on the web about that. I'm not going to share about that but move to what I see as a cost problem and how I fixed it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!