Laptops forum

General discussion

need help deciding which laptop to buy

by shadowxalex / October 19, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

Well first off I'm a senior in High School going to college next year so I'm looking for a computer to buy. My price cap is $1,100 and I'm looking for something that looks nice and performs great. Right now I'm stuck between 4 different laptops:

1.HP - Pavilion Tablet PC - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8893058&type=product&id=1211587729489

2. HP - Pavilion Special Edition - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8893094&type=product&id=1211587729687

3. Gateway Arctic Bloom - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8790837&type=product&id=1205537513389

4. Toshiba - Satellite Laptop - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9036027&type=product&id=1218011395791

I'm leaning towards the HP Tablet PC because I like to mess around with Photoshop and having a tablet will be easier instead of a mouse. But also I'm looking for something that can play games as well, nothing on the extreme but like Counter-Strike: Source or Team Fortress 2, nothing like Crysis.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help deciding which laptop to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help deciding which laptop to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's dismiss #3 and #4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 12:51 AM PDT

Those are not dual core CPUs and you may be displeased with the performance.

The remaining two are WILDLY different beasts. I own a similar dv6910us and would buy it again. It's not a gamer's laptop so don't delude yourself that you'll be playing Crysis on these. But the Hp dv6910us runs well and the Lightscribe feature is something I use. The wifi works well too.

For me I'd look again at the HP model. Be sure to extend the warranty for the time period that makes sense to you. Some forget that laptop repairs cost about as much as the entire laptop, even for what some think should be minor.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by shadowxalex / October 19, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

Ok so I'm not looking into 3 and 4 anymore, so it is between 1 and 2. I went to HP's site and the Pavilion dv6910us is out of stock so I can't really see what I can customize. Also I'm still interested in the Pavilion tx2500z series, the tablet PC, but I checked everywhere and the reviews are really mixed. There are a lot of people who really love the laptop but then there are a lot who hate it saying it crashed a lot. Do you know anything about this?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Tablet PCs were a favorite of Bill's but never caught fire in the marketplace. In fact I no longer find tablet PCs at the usual retailers. If you're not using one today then don't get one since it's a fancy shiny feature that most fine fun at first and then we move on.

The dv6910us was very economical at less than 599 on sale at staples. Just keep shopping and about crashes and lockups. Sorry but with all the malware out there I can't differentiate a real problem from the usual malware issues.
Bob

Collapse -
PS> Why would I customize my dv6910us?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

It has everything. What's not in there?

Collapse -
You're right
by shadowxalex / October 19, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

It does have everything, I didn't fully check the specs. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to with the dv6910us. Last question, how long is the battery life?

Collapse -
Life is some 300 to 500 cycles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right

I think you may be asking how many minutes of runtime. Sadly it's over 2 hours and I don't test such since that reduces battery life(time.)

I have it set to just a few minutes till it shuts the screen off so it runs a long time on battery. I also have it sleep on closing the lid. Mine came with the remote too.
Bob

Collapse -
Great thanks!
by shadowxalex / October 19, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

Unfortunately thats kinda bad but its not that terrible, my moms gets about the same, and I'll probably try to buy an external battery for those long flights or really boring school days. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Sorry I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Great thanks!

It's far OVER 2 HOURS. I never tried longer since why should I? I guess you thought I wrote it was 2 hours. No, that's only how long I have used it on battery power. And let me be clear again. I don't test such things since it would reduce my laptop's battery life.
Bob

Collapse -
oh ok
by shadowxalex / October 19, 2008 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I was unclear.

Well thats good that its over 2 hours, thanks for the help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!