Laptops forum

General discussion

need help deciding on a laptop

by luke16 / May 24, 2006 11:22 AM PDT

i would like a laptop with the folowing features:

amd opteron 185 dual core processor (or whateaver is the fastedst)
relativly small, 15-17
dvd drive
relativly long battery life
built in 802.11a/b/g wifi
under $3000

thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help deciding on a laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help deciding on a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tv connections
by luke16 / May 24, 2006 2:03 PM PDT

no real need, this would be 4 gaming and online school.

Collapse -
How about that battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: tv connections

In my other post I went over trying to find what battery might be needed for such a laptop.

-> You could look around on the usual sites to see who makes said CPU based laptop. What did you find?

Bob

Collapse -
Doesn't meet your specifications.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: i found this laptop

You asked for the dual core Opteron.

You seem to be uncertain in your search which will cause this discussion to come to a quick end.

-> If the Sempron is acceptable then I take it that gaming and more is not an issue?

Bob

Collapse -
yes, i c your point
by luke16 / May 25, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

yes, you are right. the opertron or trinton x2 dual cores are the ones i am considdering. nevermind that cheap one. i would also like to know if i can build one for less.

Collapse -
Mainstream Dual-Core AMD Opteron? processors at 95 watts,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_13368_13369,00.html?redir=CPSW51

Let's take a larger battery of say 14.8 Volts 5000 mAh and see who long it will power the Opteron.

I get about 46 minutes. What did you get?

The combo of Opteron and batteries seems to be a bad idea.

OK, let's try a car battery. Let's try the usual 1200 AmpHour.

I now 151 hours. At least there's power enough for the CPU.

Bob
Collapse -
Come on ! A server CPU in a laptop !

Lol ! What a good joke !

I think you don<t know only one thing about portable computer so let me explain the base of this parallel computer world.

First, a mobile server doesn't exist. I never saw a laptop with a dual-core Opteron in it.

AMD Athlon 64 FX processors is a desktop chip. Never put this in a laptop : it will overheat. Only crazy people/manufacturer do this for fun or to "fourrer le monde" in french ( means to laught or to make buy something very poor to people ). This processor is worse than a Pentium 4 HT in a laptop.

Then, if you want to play, Sempron is really bad.

NEVER take an integrated graphics controller such as the Intel GMA or ATi RADEON XPRESS 200M ( or X200 ). This kind of controller delivers very very bad 3D performances and it steals up to 224 MB of the system RAM --- The PC runs slowlier.

ALWAYS go for a mobile processor like the AMD Turion 64 X2 or the Core Duo ( I prefer this last, I've read some pre-reviews of the AMD Turion X2 and it seems to delivers worse performances than the Intel's baby ). Don't go for the AMD Turion 64 or the Pentium M : already obselete. Mobile Sempron and Celeron M are made for basic utilisation like e-mail and web surfing.

ALWAYS go for a minimum of 512 MB DDR2 RAM ( 1024 MB is more recommanded to play games ), dedicated graphics controller and for a model that has the highest nomber of external ports like a Digital Media Card reader, at least 3 USB Ports, VGA-Out, S-Video-Out, etc.

NEVER go for a Pentium 4 ( even mobile ) in a laptop. It uses too much batteries and its termal dissipation is very bad ( heat a lot ). Overheats with a Pentium 4 are frequent ( just look at an old HP Pavilion zd8000 ! ).

So, my best choice for a gaming notebook is the Dell XPS M1710. Core Duo, 1 GB of RAM' nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS/GTX ( I think it's GTX ) and all the best Dell stuff.

But of course, it depends of your degree. If you play games occasionnaly like once a week, don't go for a XPS ! My baby - a Dell Inspiron 6400 - configured with an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400, 512 MB DDR2, TrueLife display, 80 GB @ 5400 RPM HD, Windows XP MCE, DVD Burner at 1200 $ U.S. is more than correct. Or for a better visual experience or for a little bit more high-end laptop, the Dell Inspiron 9400 configured with the same configuration of my baby but with a 17" display and a nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 can be better to run futur game at a better graphics level.

But for me - an occasionnal gamer who plays Need For Speed or Tiger Woods PGA Tour - an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 is more than good !

All computer that leave the manufacturer today should be able to support Windows Vista.

The Pentium M Yonah is pin-to-pin compatible with the furure Intel Pentium M Merom ( 64 bits - dual-core - SSE4 instruction sets ) si IF ( and it's a very little probability ) 64 bits applications make a very big leap into our house, this can be good for a future processor upgrade to take the advantage of the 64 bits.

Any other laptops with a GPU like an ATi Mobility Radeon X700/X800/X1600 or a nVIDIA GeForce Go 7600/7800/7900 can be a very good buying.

So I leave you with this !

If you have another question, please, write it to us !

Collapse -
Pretty much like ghost said
by jelgert / May 25, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

You can ask more questions about this in the forum to help you pick the laptop that fits you best but it is like ghost said. Your asking for a laptop basically with desktop parts which as ghost and R. Proffitt have probably told you isn't such a great idea, like ghost told you in his post look at an older laptop with a P4 processor they overheat and shut down without warning about every 2-3 hours. I mean its not just a coincedence that a desktop loaded with all these parts need extra cooling. But if you still want to do this you can check out a few custom builders they aren't going to save you any money but someone like alienware will put pretty much what you want into a laptop its just a dependability issue at that point and well I'm not certain on this b/c well haven't really ever looked for it but they don't put server CPU into laptops but they will put desktop parts. One final little bit of information 15-17" is about as big as you can go in a laptop and you won't get past 3 hours or so with a screen this big the 15" you can get up past 6+ if you optimize your power. Anyways clarify what you want based off the information you have been given and you can still probably find the laptop that you want.

Collapse -
clarification
by luke16 / May 25, 2006 10:15 AM PDT

ok i guess the x2 and fx60 were bad ideas.... so i would like a 64 bit processor or a fast intell that is good for gameing. a 15.4 inch screne, i'll upgrade ram and internal 802.11a/b/g and a 802.11 superG card. a nividia go 6800 (or something good but on a budget). and a slick black case. i think i can build one but don't know what parts to get.

and you guys can stop harrassing me for that semphron allready.

Collapse -
Parts? You may be thinking about "desktops."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

The pickings for building your own laptop are slim to non-existant in most parts of the world.

Build your own laptops has come and gone a few times but the lessons seem easily forgotten.

-> I'd rewind the whole discussion and try again with presenting a few "gamer" laptops to see what people think.

Bob

Collapse -
omg, not a deasktop!!!!
by luke16 / May 25, 2006 4:27 PM PDT

ok guys.... i cleared everything up with my last post but i guess i'll bumb it down for some.

barebones laptop (everything but hdd, cpu, memory, ang wifi)
hard drive
memory
gpu
cpu
wireless card

well, there you go. if anyone knows of a solid black golssy barebones laptop, let me know. eaven if it isn't, barebones, let me know.

and for those who say i am building a computer, here is a laptop with a x2 or fx-60:
http://www.xtremenotebooks.com/index.php?section=configurator&regular_model_id=1054&model_id=1057&include_type=14_inch&category=

Collapse -
Lessons from others?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 8:40 PM PDT

Those units are non-contenders if the owner has any concern about spare parts, repairs after a year and support.

I won't repeat the many discussions about this, but note that if such is not a concern for you, pick what you want to have fun.

Bob

Collapse -
I don't care if you buy an X2 laptop
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 26, 2006 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Lessons from others?

But don't come and cry on this forum if your laptop overheats or breakes.

I told you my best recommandations : Dell XPS and the Toshiba Satellite P105.

These laptops are really good for gaming and has mobile processors in it.

64 bits technology will make a bif leap only after Windows Vista.

We are at the beggining of this new technology and most users don't care about it : useless technology for users like you and me but usefull for scientifics.

We are in a transition period and this period is leaded by operating systems. The next FULL 64 bits OS will be the final point of the 32 bits technology and the starting point of a new world.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!