Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help deciding laptop for student

by bergerhl / May 16, 2006 10:58 AM PDT

Im going to be an engineering student at Berkeley next year and am trying to find a good laptop to take to school. I need one with good performance mainly for school, interenet, maybe a little music. Nothing like gaming or things like that. I'm planning on lugging it around everywhere so I need one thats very portable and lightweight. My budget is probably less than 1100. I'm considering the Dell latitude D620, however am worried its not as portable as I need. Are there any suggestions on a laptop to fit my needs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help deciding laptop for student
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help deciding laptop for student
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Need help deciding laptop for student.
by djmunion2000 / May 16, 2006 4:44 PM PDT

If was me & i was to buy a laptop,for School and I would look at Apple or an Ibook or a MacBook just out,check out the refurbish section at Apple.com,apple products are great itunes,iphoto.....the list go and on and on,the os x 10.4 Tiger has widgets,you click em on you receive weather,radio stations,news,just about anything you think of.
OS X 10.4 is a great OS. so check it out APPLE IS GOOD to THE CORE.

Collapse -
Also
by jelgert / May 16, 2006 7:14 PM PDT

While the apple might be your best choice out of the bunch its going to cost you that 1100 max b4 any type of upgrading and you'd probably want at least the warranty. Anyways also look at the fujitsu S2110 (1199) base, Compaq V2000 (459) base, Lenovo 3000 N100 (899) with dual core, toshiba's techra line and finally dell's E1405. All of those choices are 14 inches or smaller and none should weigh more that 5.5 pounds which should be plenty portable if not your going to want an ultra portable and those run higher in prices usually and are mostly in sony domain although I've also seen a few from fujitsu. But for your purposes I would aim for a 12-14" do your best to get a dual core processor as it would be nice. Out of the choices I listed the best probably for your purposes are the apple system and the ibm system as they are both very portable and durable if your taking them everywhere. One final note the last news release I read had merom releasing in august for home users which means some time around then you should see a drop in the dual core prices as the merom processor replaces them if you can do w/o a laptop for about your first month of school you might be able to get a more powerful system cheaper then but if you want it now I'd go for one of the two I suggested with your budget, ohh and use your student discount and save some money.

Collapse -
mac
by rockford53 / May 17, 2006 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Also

For my whole like i have been using windows. I was wondering if mac will be easy to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.