PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need Help Deciding : Buy Video Card Or Not???

Hi
i need help deciding whether i should buy a video card or not
or would it be better to just get a new computer
if i bought one my budget would be around $200 for a video card
i want to be able to play all of the new games that are out right now
for example Call Of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, etc..

here are my PC specs

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz processor
1.5 GB RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro

any help is appreciated
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Deciding : Buy Video Card Or Not???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Deciding : Buy Video Card Or Not???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
$200 is good budget

In reply to: Need Help Deciding : Buy Video Card Or Not???

You can upgrade the graphics card -- the top latest Radeon card came out right at that price point.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990
Of course Nvidia has some around that price, too.

Just guessing you're running XP and bought that rig in '05.

You're at the point where you're nearly ready for an upgrade/replace of the other bits of the system, too. But a new graphics card can be saved for the computer you get to replace this one. In that sense it's kinda paying forward, not wasted money.

If it were my decision to make, I'd update the graphics and save a processor/mobo or whole computer upgrade for later.

Collapse -
9600 pro is agp , 4850 and 4870 are pci-e 2.0

In reply to: $200 is good budget

the new cards and his old motherboard are not compatible.

Collapse -
oops

In reply to: 9600 pro is agp , 4850 and 4870 are pci-e 2.0

Righto-- that's where me "assuming" stuff causes errors...

For the OP - James is noting that your current card appears to be in the aging AGP format. Options for new graphics cards in AGP are limited, and whatever card you get for your current mainboard will NOT be something you can carry forward (whereas if it were PCIe, you could).

So better to upgrade the whole system at the same time.

Collapse -
Vid card

In reply to: 9600 pro is agp , 4850 and 4870 are pci-e 2.0

Yes, new systems use the E slot for vid card, the best he would have would be an AGP slot on a P-4 system, not compatible with newer puters. If he plans on keeping the system for a while fine, otherwise upgrade to dual or quad core unit and have done with it.

Collapse -
Not the best idea.

AGP is really aging, new cards use pci-e 2.0 which is backwards compatible with pci-e 1.0. Unreal Tournament is a fairly old engine so it won't be quite that harsh on your hardware, and Call of Duty 4 is not very demanding. However Crysis, is arguably the most demanding game ever released. Hardware has not caught up to Crysis yet and playing it at very high settings is out of the question at $200. The best card for that price is the 4850, no question about it. However, this is not a simple upgrade.

Since you are using a 9600 pro that would mean you are using an AGP board, so you would require a new one, a new power supply probably and a new cpu because it will bottleneck the new card.

HOWEVER, to skip all of the confusing upgrades and backing up information just to increase gaming performance, I would recommend the 3850 512 mb AGP for around $200, unfortunately, your cpu may bottleneck the card as this is the most powerful agp card available.

Collapse -
If ....

Collapse -
Thank you everyone

Thank you all
i think ill probably just end up getting a new computer
i think it would be better

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.