Question

Need help deciding between HP laptops

I've been juggling different manufacturers in regard to purchasing a new laptop and seem to have settled on HP. Now I'm trying to decide between the HP m7 - which has 1TB memory/ Intel chipset (i5/ i7) and integrated intel graphics or the HP Pavilion DV7-7023CL. The DV7 has about 750 GB memory/ 6GB ram/ AMD Quad Core A8 - 4500M CPU and AMD Radeon 7640 G graphics. Supposedly, this is a dedicated graphics card but I always like to make certain of what I'm buying. Also, both have 'Beats Audio' too.

I do not like integrated graphics as a rule but I understand AMD is touting some new advances with it's AOD chipset? Not sure if this is part of that effort, but I digress...

I'd like to know which is the better choice for the long run as I would use this for training, entertainment (music/ video/ some editing) home and business travel. I am still researching price + coverage/ total cost options because at first look the m7 is $300.00 more than the DV7.

I would also appreciate input on which CPU is better for the long haul?? Your response is not only needed, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help deciding between HP laptops
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help deciding between HP laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
what laptop is right

I would recommend the intel laptop. If your budget can go up to $850 you could get a Lenovo ideapad Y580 or Y480. They have rely good graphocs cards. Also they have rely good built in speakers. I would also try to get a laptop with Nvidia graphics.

- Collapse -
Answer
Laptops

Have you looked an other manufacturers, such as Toshiba, Sony, Dell and perhaps as a prior poster mentioned, Lenovo? For a laptop I am going Intel versus AMD, everytime. For an economical desktop build I would consider AMD quad. The Hp Dv series latops do not thrill me, I have seen too many issues, mainly with the AMD systems.

- Collapse -
Like I said, I am open...

Thanks for the input. And yes, I have looked at (and to be honest, still am eyeing...) other brands. The form factor or the HP (the leaner non-brick like 'wedge' design) and the all metal case appealed to me for a number of reasons. These models seemed to have most of the items I'm seeking except for the descrepancies I mentioned previously. Too bad there isn't a site where I could enter my preferences and receive a short list of results (heavy sigh) Wink If you know of one, then please hit me up!

You both mentioned different manufacturers and I can look again. Except, I would never buy a Sony (ANY Sony product) as their support is non-existant and customer service is a joke - I state that based on personal experience. As for the Chipset, I'm leaning toward the intel as well. What brand/ model did you get and how satisfied are you?

- Collapse -
L/T

I have 2 Toshibas, both core 2 systems, they are a few years old but VERY functional. I am toying with the idea of getting another, Toshi, i-5 series. One that I have is a 17" and has been ALL over the place airport to airport, East coast West coast and has been absolutely bullet proof. It was Win Vista when purchased and within a month went to Win 7 with Linux/Ubuntu as a dual boot OS. The thing has given me great service and actually looks as if it is new. I have a very good case for it for travel. I use a Logitech Nano Laser mouse, pretty much from day one. If the thing conked out tomorrow it doesn't owe me a dime. The Other is a core two 15" that I got for my wife just prior to the i series processors coming out, it too has been exceptionally relaible but hasn't seen the use the 17" has. As for Sony, some years back I dealt with many and most of the electronics manufacturers at corporate/technical levels, Sony was the most difficult to deal with so I am inclined to lean in your direction, at least to a degree although some of their hardware is quite good. Were I to purchase a new laptop in the fairly near future it would likely be a higher end Toshiba using the i-5 processor but...I am leaning toward a Mac, at this point it might be a coin toss.

- Collapse -
Good input...

Thanks for your thoughts. It's always good to get reviews for those who travel extensively, as they do use (or abuse) the laptop more than a home user. I do know Toshiba has a pretty solid record for quality and it was definitely on the list - the brick form factor on most of their models turned me off. I like to touch and feel the unit before I buy and so far, i have not been able to find one that meets what I'm seeking.

...at least in the stores. I'll probably purchase online due to a lower price point, but I want to see what I'm getting versus viewing a vid or specs online. Picky? Yeah, cause I already have a older brick type laptop and want a lighter, leaner machine that is close to, but not an ultrabook. No CD burner. Wink

Thanks again - this information is good and will help me (and hopefully others..) to get more bang for their buck

CNET Forums