Computer Help forum

Question

need help, computer power issues

I am at a loss and don't know what my next step is. Asus ET2300INTI new computer purchased with windows 8.1. Worked fine for approx 1 month and than i moved it to a different room in the house for one night. When attemptiing to move it back, the computer no longer receives any power or turns on in the old location through teh surge protector where i have everything else running. I have tested other electrical products in the same location and the computer is the only thing that will not work. It will not work in the room entirely and is as if it is attempting to pull too much power from the outlets/ surge protectors in that room. I thought the issue may have been the adaptor/ transformer box so i got that replaced. The computer will work in other random areas where there is no other inputs. Right now I am connected in the hallway directl to the outlet with no problem but if I attempted to run this through and extension cord or into the office, it will not turn on. I am at a loss and odn't even know what else to test at this point. iT is so confusing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help, computer power issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help, computer power issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Surge Protectors Die Frequently... Try A New One

In reply to: need help, computer power issues

We've frequently had issues with surge protectors and replacing with a new one can save the day. Computers can be finicky and in situations where all other devices work fine on the power strip, the computer simply doesn't. Try a new/better one. And if that doesn't get it done, then install a new power supply in the computer.. They also can have issues, EVEN IF the computer is new.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Two Options

Nobody can provide a useful answer without some hard facts (numbers). Task to get those numbers is easy. Even a 13 year old can do it. But you must request instructions, get a digital meter, and do a full one minute of labor. Only then can the next reply identify or exonerate the suspects. Only then can you have a useful answer.

Power strips obviously do not explain the problem. Power from different sources may simply create a failure due to a defect that always exists. So you have two options. Either start replacing good parts until something works (shotgunning). Or get the meter so that the fewer who actually know this stuff can provide an informative reply.

Collapse -
I agree!

In reply to: Two Options

Sometimes or maybe most of the time there is different source of power from different outlet. But first, check your computer power circuit if there is a problem too..

Collapse -
Answer
AC checker

There are simple "plug-in testers" that check to see if wiring is proper. They look like a enlarge AC adapter of sorts w/LEDs to show results. The main check is finding proper "hot/neutral/grd" setup plus possible other status. Also, electrical wiring in older homes or one updated may have issues. A PC is something that can be prone to reflect issues rather than some typical AC device which needs plain power. I exclude any possible weird situations that homeowners seem to forget or NOW are aware of because its looked into by a pro.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Receptacle tester ...

In reply to: AC checker

Plug in tester is sold as if a magic box will answer all questions. It can identify a few types of failures. And can never say wiring is good.

OP's symptoms concern a computer's entire power system. Meter will report what the computer's entire power system is doing - which that outlet tester cannot. Meter can report useful facts on household wiring. And is a useful tool for solving other future problems in appliances, buildings, and cars. Outlet test has no other useful function.

A receptacle tester can report reversed polarity. But that does not cause any good computer to fail. A receptacle tester can report a missing safety ground. But that does not cause any good computer to fail. That tester cannot report on a floating neutral. Some defective safety grounds can be reported good by that tester.

Go-Nogo testing (ie lights) means others who actually know this stuff are starved of relevant facts. Useful replies need perspective (numbers). That tester can only report on a few and major defects. To know of all potential defects and to say wiring is good means measurements with numbers.

Tester will not say what inside a computer is defective. For example, if one receptacle has reversed polarity, that still does not identify a computer's internal defect.

Those symptoms are probably apparent only when two separate defects exist. But that is only speculation. To say something useful means using a tool that can identify defects.

Collapse -
Get an expensive AC monitoring device???

In reply to: Receptacle tester ...

Most users aren't going to go that route and really for the small cost of AC outlet checker it can provide some useful info. You say, the PC can handle floating grd. nope that's a false hope. Ask anyone standing in water/muck plugging in a radio or electrical device. i have no clue what the actual use of the PC will be but according to provided info, it already states it has different results from different AC outlets which could very well be report a difference on some AC tester. Yes, a monitoring unit will provide more info but won't be an immediate device most would get. i stand by my decision as it will be a less costly one to gravitate to. However, the problem isn't unique as i found wiring issues a cause for concern in homes that either were recently build or remodeled. Also, the failure of a real ground being compromised or somehow not in full effect in locations around a home, barn, garage, or shed, etc., that's something that pop-up now and then. The AC monitoring unit would be the next step-up in any AC infractions, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Denial due to...

In reply to: Get an expensive AC monitoring device???

Nobody said anythng about an expensive device. Wild speculation exists when basic electrical experience does not exist.

That outlet tester is used by home inspectors and electricians to identify a few simple anomalies. It cannot report a high voltage, low voltage, frequency variation, missing earth ground, EMC/EMI, etc. It can only report maybe three defects such as reversed polarity and missing safety ground. Of everything that outlet tester can detect, none - absolutely none - can harm or obstruct a properly working computer.

OP has a computer problem. Posted was how to identify that problem - a task that even a 13 year old can do. Then the fewer who know this stuff can finally reply - due to numbers.

Again, OP has two options. Either do what the informed do to have assistance from others who know this stuff. Or shotgun - just keep replacing good parts until something works. An outlet tester appears nowhere in those options because it cannot identify any anomaly that would cause computer failure.

Collapse -
Answer
Your house is haunted

I thought the issue may have been the adaptor/ transformer box so i got that replaced. the computer no longer receives any power or turns on in the old location through the surge protector where i have everything else running.

why are you running a transformer? Are you converting 220 Euro power down to 110 US power? Or is this "transformer" the surge protector, or the power adapter? Are you sure the voltage at wall socket is the same in both places? Did you change any 110/220 voltage switch on the computer's adapter, if it has such?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.