Laptops forum

General discussion

Need Help Choosing Which Laptop To Buy - I've Got 2 Choices

by jsaffer / March 19, 2007 12:22 PM PDT

Hi all,

I've narrowed my laptop choice down to two and I could use some help in figuring which one to buy soon.

I've been looking at the new HP Pavilion DV9208nr and the Toshiba Satellite P105-S61777. Both are 17" models.

I need a laptop that will run quietly in a small counseling office. I read one post about the Toshiba that said: "Fan has weird behavior, will kick in and out quickly and can get annoying." I'm not sure if the HP has any kind of similar noise or behavior. Ideally, I'd love to hear from folks who have one of these models to let me know if the fan (or other noise) is something I should be concerned about for either model. The noise/sounds factor could be a deciding factor between the two for me.

Here are some other specifics about the two:

Toshiba:
2 gig RAM
1.73 GHz, Intel Core Duo Processor T2250
120 gig Hard Drive

HP:
1 gig RAM
1.6 GHz, AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core Mobile Technology TL-50
120 gig Hard Drive

The price for either is about the same (the Toshiba costs only $50 more).

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this question!

Thanks much.

....Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Choosing Which Laptop To Buy - I've Got 2 Choices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Choosing Which Laptop To Buy - I've Got 2 Choices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which latop to buy
by linkscom / March 19, 2007 9:04 PM PDT

I would say go for the HP they're definitely quieter than the Toshibas. That said Toshiba fans, in my experience, tend to work not as well specially if you're going to leave it plugged into a wall most of the time. The toshiba I had seemed to have a sudden fan failure and would heat up constantly it got so bad it melted my hard disk.

I would recommend that you get an IBM (T-series perferably) those things are dead silent and amazing workhorses.

Collapse -
My dad has the model just before that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 11:51 PM PDT

It was a Core Duo, yours is the Core 2 Duo. So far so good. Nice display and zips along nicely. You'll want that extra oomph since it's Vista.

Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba

I would take the Toshiba.

Mostly because it has an Intel platform instead of an AMD, which has a tendency to have better performances.

The Tosh will also be faster with its 2 GB of RAM. On Vista, 1 GB is the minimum, 2 GB is really nice.

For the fan noise, I know that my Dell E1505 is really quiet and cool. On the power saving mode, the fan never start.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.