TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need help choosing the right receiver

by joluar2 / December 13, 2006 1:55 PM PST

Hey Guys, I am a novice when it comes hdmi receivers, so please excuse my confusion if any. I want to buy a receiver where I will get the best picture and audio out of my panasonic plasma, the model number is TH-50PX60U.

I will be purchasing a dvd player that converts regular dvds to 720p or 1080i. I will be getting a hd box from dishnetwork that I want to connect to the receiver. and finally I will be connecting my xbox to the receiver.

Now this is where i confuse myself so I hope you guys can help me out. do I need to connect all 3 devices through the hdmi inputs and run one hdmi cable out to my tv to get hd quality picture and have surround sound? Or is it possible to connect the dishnetwork box and dvd player through the hdmi inputs and run one hdmi cable out to the tv, and connect my xbox through one of the component inputs on the receiver and still get audio on my xbox?

The reason I ask about the audio for the xbox is because I don't think the panasonic has a optical output or a coaxil output to get audio on the xbox. so if I did hookup my xbox through one of the component inputs to the receiver would I still get audio?

So, this brings me to ask you guys this question, do I need a receiver with at least 3 hdmi inputs to meet my needs or can I get away with 2 hdmi inputs?

RIght now these are the receivers I'm looking into. Pioneer VSX-84TXSi, pioneer vsx-82txs, yamaha rx-v1700, yamaha v2700, or denon avr-2807.

I want the best possible picture and audio out of the receiver I chose with a limit of $1500. Which receiver would you guys recommend and why? And if you guys have any other recommendations on which receiver I should purchase I'm all ears.

Thanks you so much. Sorry If I confused anyone with my last post, I hope you all understand. Happy Holidays.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing the right receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing the right receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost forgot to mention my speakers
by joluar2 / December 13, 2006 2:05 PM PST

I will be using polk audio speakers, I believe they are rm6901's for front and center and rm6801's for the surround sound with a polk 12" sub. will be a 6.1 surround sound. Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyones posts.

Collapse -
JOL SOUNDS LIKE A AWSOME SYSTEM
by stewart norrie / December 14, 2006 2:08 AM PST

You may want to try it this way I LIKE TO RUN MY VIDIO DIRECT TO T.V. and audio to amp If your t.v. is close to your gear then run your game using componit cables to t.v. and d.v.d. and hi-def box use h.d.m.i. direct to t.v. WHY doing it this way you can fine tune each t.v input sepretly the only draw back is you have to change inputs on t.v. and amp no big deal also buying an amp with out h.d.m.i. is going to cost a lot less money stew

Collapse -
You are on a fine track & will enjoy so much
by NM_Bill / December 14, 2006 8:54 AM PST

You don't have to run video through the receiver. In fact why switch it when not necessary? Go direct to TV for the shortest path.

You're considering nice receivers. Have you read c/net's reviews here? They arehigh on Denon. I happened upon Denon a few years ago. Very pleased. C/NET calls the 2807 the "sweet spot" in the Denon lineup. My initial modest Denon 1804 receiver has been bulletproof, never seems to strain with no audible clipping.

OK, to objectivity. The Denon has 2 HDMI inputs. Denon is the big boy on the block these years. They are known for conservative specs & don't jump on bells & whistles for their own sake. Competitors wiht smaller sales tend to have more available & deeper discounts & often add a bell & whistle or so.

When above the very capable level, a factor like more pleasing remote control may decide for you. After all, you'll contend with the remote all the time. Your call. Enjoy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.