General discussion

Need HELP choosing security tools

I am a college student and about to buy a new laptop (mabey the new IBM Thinkpad T43). I am familiar with hardware and software security tools but don't know all of them out there and which ones are best. I am considering purchasing Nortan Internet Security and System Works, Webroot Spysweeper, Ghost Surf Anonymizer, and a linksys router/firewall, all complemeted with several freeware tools such as Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, Microsoft Antispware. I know there are many freeware security tools that work as anti-spyware, pop-up blockers, anti-spam, anti-virus, firewalls, etc. My questions are:
-Which ones are most effective?
-Should I use the freeware as complementary security tools to commercial (not free) ones, or as stand-alones, or vice versa?
-Which ones work best together?
-Does redundancy of freeware/commercial tools create any compatibility problems?
Overall, I want to get as secure a system as possible using Windows XP Pro, any web browser (perhaps Firefox or the new Internet explorer 7)and as many security tools necessary.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need HELP choosing security tools
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need HELP choosing security tools
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you seem to have an adequate list.
- Collapse -
I can think of two more...

SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard. Both are Free and are very good.
HTH
Larry

- Collapse -
What? Why? How?

What are those tools functions? Why are they effective or worthwile? How do i get them? Thanks

- Collapse -
Links

SpywareBlaster 3.2

Prevent spyware from installing in the first place!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareGuard 2.2
A real-time protection solution against spyware!

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

- Collapse -
One more thing. . .

Thanks for the info and links, but when i got to the site to download spyware guard, it mentions that there might be compatibility problems with other security tools. What apps is it not compatible with? What about the standard Anti-virus manufacturers, Trend Micro, Norton, etc.? What about webroot spysweeper? Would i even need that with Spyware blaster, spyware guard, Adaware, and Spybot Search & Destroy? Would all of these tools be compatible? If u don't have experience with the compatibility of all these apps, i understand. But any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. One last thing, I doubt u would know, but are all these aforementioned security apps compatible with the pre-installed security tools of IBM Thinkpads (T43)? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Nobody can answer all these questions...

You need to do some legwork yourself and try some things... if you do not like them then simply uninstall.

You have been given the best of advice so now its your choice what you do with it.

Best of luck!

Glenn

- Collapse -
One last thing, I doubt u would know, ???
'One last thing, I doubt u would know, but are all these aforementioned security apps compatible with the pre-installed security tools of IBM Thinkpads (T43)?

if you doubt, why ask?

as an alleged student, one assumes some modicum of research capability, yet you seem to prefer spoon fed?
- Collapse -
Hey dawillie,

When I said "I doubt u would know" I meant "I don't expect you to know, but there is always a possiblity, so I'll ask anyways." And in response to your comment about me not doing any research of my own, I would just say don't assume things. Just because I am asking for advice on Cnet forums doesn't mean I don't do my own research. I have been researching all of my questions that I have posted on various forums here extensively (through sources such as PC MAG, PC WORLD, LAPTOP, MOBILE PC, MOBILE COMPUTING, CNET, etc.) And yes I continuously research all of those sources either in magazine form or on their websites. I also use various tech websites that report news or give first-hand advice. The reason I ask the questions is either to verify my research with good advice from knowledgeable techies and/or to fill in the gap of experience that I might not have. For instance, regarding my question about the IBM T43 and compatiblity, seeing as how I don't as yet have one and it wouldn't be impractical to buy one just to test this compatibility, I was hoping that someone with past experience with the IBM T series might have some experience with compatibility. So I would hope you would have learned from this that it is not advisable to make assumptions about people based on misinterpretations and misconceptions. Thanks.

- Collapse -
all the softwware

mentined thus far is compatible with most operatinbg systems and PC's.

and if your concern is IBM specific then that is the place to pose the question for a definitive answer.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
- Collapse -
check out this post
- Collapse -
Just 1 mans opinion but....

I wouldn't go back to Norton myself because 1) Uses alot of system resources 2) Is known for "Not playing nicely" with other 3rd party tools. I recall (years ago) Norton refusing to allow "Housecall Online Scan" engine to install (competetor)! I have had sufficent(no viruses) virus protection from freeware AVG , Avast etc. Router acts as a firewall by the nature of its design without paying extra as a add on. Your XP has a firewall included and Free Zone alarm is available if you prefer.
Most anti-spy mentioned are after the fact scanners & removers (free works for me) but several are necessary period. Spywareblaster (from Javacool?) is a scanniung blocker which tries to prevent entry to start with. Between both types you're pretty well covered.
Spybot also offers blocking of bad downloads and plays nicely with Adaware, SpywareBlaster etc.
You can pay.....and receive extra tweaks or get scammed in name of greed. At least with reputable free ones, there is no such motive , just honourable (Cdn.spelling) public sevice. Note the "Reputable" as many "free" cons are out there. Many of them are listed at Spywarewarriors.com. I strongly rec. using Mozilla or Firefox or Opera or? for browsing and watch most of the grenades fly right past you!! Enjoy! Happy

With any and all: Constant Updating and patching against security holes in system OS are crucial!

CNET Forums

Forum Info