Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help choosing right camcorder!!!!

I am a mac user (Macbook and imac running Leopard). I am looking for a recommendation for a nice camera. I will be using it for home movies, but more so for recording concerts. My son is in a rock band. I am looking for something that will be able to focus well on moving drum sticks, audio that can tolerate high volume, and the ability to edit using imovies. I am willing to spend up to $1000. I looked at the HD models, but realize that I would need a Bluray burner and that the Bluray DVDs are very expensive. Also, I heard that these are not the best to use with a mac and take up large amounts of hard drive space. I am VERY confused, on information overload and need to purchase something by tomorrow, for an important gig. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing right camcorder!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing right camcorder!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of all the attributes,

In reply to: Need help choosing right camcorder!!!!

the toughest one to find is manual audio control.

The least expensive camcorders with manual audio control are the Canon HV20, HV30, Sony HDR-HC7 and HC9. Because they are miniDV tape based camcorder, the tape will capture DV or HDV - these offer the best available video quality due to least amount of video data compression. You will need to get a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire (IEEE1394a, i.LINK, DV - all the same thing) cable.

Using a MacBook, iMovieHD is bundled with the machine but you will need the Apple Intermediate Codec manually installed from yhr System discs that came with the computer - no big deal - boot from the systems disc and do a custom install for just that AIC component.

You DO NOT need a BluRay burner - unless you want to watch the edited video in HD (played in a BluRay player connected to a HDTV). You can shoot HDV, edit HDV and save data files in high definition (see vimeo.com)... but iDVD will burn standard definition video and do the downsampling for you.

For hard drive space, just get an external drive.
http://shop3.frys.com/product/5478349

+++++

AVCHD (from hard drive or flash memory camcorders) has a different set of requirements and the hard drive camcorders do not like loud noise (vibrations).

Collapse -
Sanyo VPC-CA8, work for MAC?

In reply to: Of all the attributes,

Collapse -
In theory, the Sanyo VPC-CA8

In reply to: Sanyo VPC-CA8, work for MAC?

AVCHD camcorder will work with a Mac (note this is not MAC - an acronym - but "Mac", short for Macintosh... MAC in computerese is Media Access Control - an networking item).

Your Apple Macintosh *must* be an Intel-chip based machine running the most current iMovieHD08 or the most current version of FinalCut Express or Pro (depending on what you choose to edit with).

I did not read through all the posts and did not get any hits using "VPC-CA8" as search criteria - but you should consider what other Macintosh users are going through with Sanyo AVCHD camcorders...
http://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?objID=c141&search=Go&q=Sanyo+VPC-CA8

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.