Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help choosing OS

Hello,

I am building a gaming computer with a intel E8400 and have been told that Vista is not a good choice for an OS. Does anyone know what works best? Is the XP pro X64 a good choice because I am using a the E8400?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 64 bit windows can be...

In reply to: Need help choosing OS

Very iffy as to driver support. Be sure your machine's maker will back you up for drivers or replace hardware that doesn't work there.

Look at tomshardware.com and see what they run.

Bob

Collapse -
vista runs most recent games fine

In reply to: Need help choosing OS

you might run into issues with older/obscure titles, but any popular game released in the past 3 years will run fine. you will need to budget for more ram (2gb) than with xp pro (which runs fine with 1gb).

xp 64bit is not a good choice because few games supported it and it doesn't have the ability to mimic xp (and thus fool games into running properly) as well as vista 64bit.

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: vista runs most recent games fine

I see. I am seriously thinking of just getting XP pro as I intend on putting in 4 gigs ram. I have a bunch of old games I still like to play, so vista looks like it may not be the best choice. Appreciate your help!

Collapse -
So your games are compiled for over 2GB RAM?

In reply to: ok

Collapse -
well

In reply to: So your games are compiled for over 2GB RAM?

I havent actually recieved any components or software yet. Just finalizing what I am going to buy for the OS. The 4 gigs is to run games smoother, I hope it helps. Although 4 gigs has gotten pretty cheap, only paying about $120 on newegg.

Collapse -
Just so you know...

In reply to: well

It's not much payoff past 1GB on XP. I have seen a little payoff on just 2 games so far from 1 to 2 and those are Crysis and Bioshock. Nothing else seems to care past 2.0GB.

However the number of machines going out with 4GB is phenomenal. You just wonder when the questions will stop (where's my ram?)

Bob

Collapse -
Interesting!

In reply to: Just so you know...

I was not aware. The only reason I am choosing 4gigs is to hopefully make the PC somewhat (near) future proof. I see what your saying though. There must be a memory ceiling and being someone who doesnt readily through money out the window, I probably wont go past 4gigs in the near future.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.