Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help choosing laptop

by that0neguy / March 16, 2009 2:42 PM PDT

Ok, so I'm looking to buy a laptop for myself and need help choosing. The following are a few laptops that I was considering (my price range was at/under $800 and was looking for 17" screens. Also I have a 500GB hard drive that arrived today so not worried about that either. So which one(s) would you say is/are the best laptops out of the group?

****Computer #1****
HP dv9933cl
Processor & Memory:
* Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you repost that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

It looks like you need to format, clean up this post. Show a little thought about how it looks.

That is, spend two minutes to make a better looking post.
Bob

Collapse -
I'd...
by 1shado1 / March 17, 2009 8:42 AM PDT

...get a Toshiba. : )

Collapse -
Toshiba
by ljb0183 / March 18, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

I recently had to watch my laptop go to heaven after 6 years. Thats like 92 in computer years. So I will probably stay loyal to Toshiba. I dont know about Tech Support, etc because I never had to use it. I NEVER had any problems with mine.

Collapse -
HP vs. Dell
by Renegade Knight / March 18, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

Having owned and broken both laptop brands this is my opinion.

HP has broken less and their support is far better. They even had a solution to a MICROSOFT problem that HP would not have had any part of even as an OEM.

Dell support was worse and they have refused to honor an extended warranty that I bought.

After 5 years I passed on the HP on to my brother. After a year and a half the Dell laptop sits on my shelf to remind me to file in small claims court.

As for which HP, pay attention to your needs. Don't buy features you won't use. That lets you buy more of the features (or upgraded versions) of the ones that you will use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.