Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Need help choosing flash MP3 for running and home.

by bluefish777 / November 16, 2008 1:02 AM PST

Looking for a MP3 player for my husband that he can use when he runs and then bring home and dock into a device that will charge it as well as stay connected to a receiver or speakers that we already have in the garage. I would like to spend under $150 for the MP3 player alone, preferably closer to $100. I don't really understand about the docking stations and what will charge which MP3 players (except iPod of course) and which you can hook up to home entertainment systems without draining the batteries. Looking for 4-8 GB nothing fancy and simple to add music. Other than iPod the only other I found with a docking station and a home A/V pack was the Zune. Any opinions, anything less expensive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing flash MP3 for running and home.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing flash MP3 for running and home.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not much out there
by ktreb / November 16, 2008 2:06 AM PST

It's easy enough to find an mp3 player. But when you add that you want a docking station so that you can connect with audio system AND charge the player, that's when things get more difficult. Unfortunately, because iPods are the most popular players in terms of sales, most manufacturers will focus making accessories for them.

Anyway, it's all about the data port on the mp3 player. This is the point at which almost all mp3 players charge as well as transfer music. And iPods have a proprietary data port, which is why docking/charging accessories don't work with other players. Most of the time you can use such accessory with other players if they have an aux input, but then you don't get charging. A lot of players have a mini USB or USB type connector, but I don't see a lot of acceptable docking accessories. Actually I can't remember anything off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can come up with something.

However, I will point you to the Sony players. They are not that cheap, although you can get the more than capable E436 for $80-$90 for the 4GB model depending on where you get it. I just bought one myself at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. Pair that with a Sony docking cradle that you can hook up to your home entertainment system so that you can charge and play tunes at the same time. I will give you links to take a look at both. Now the docking station doesn't list the E436 as being compatible, but that player and all of the players listed as being compatible have the same type of data port (also proprietary) so you should be okay.

Also the E436 plays video. I realize that audio is all that you really want. Just don't utilize the video function. You're not necessarily paying more to get that function. Yes, you can pay less for players without it, but not much less and you will lose the ability to dock it.

Sony Walkman E436:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665524068

Sony Walkman Cradle with WM-Port:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665369128

You can also navigate around the site to take a look at other players and options Sony has to offer. If you are anywhere near a SonyStyle physical store, it's a great place to look.

Collapse -
thanks
by bluefish777 / November 16, 2008 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: not much out there

Thank you, not really knowing much about this, that info helps a lot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?