Laptops forum

Question

Need Help Buying a Laptop

by Ethanjoel98 / May 27, 2015 11:16 PM PDT

Hi, im looking for a laptop with a Maximum budget of £350. I would like to play games such as Minecraft on good settings not on Low. I also want to browse the web and other activities quickly without lag.

I have been looking at several laptops and I think i need 8gb of RAM, but im not sure of what Processor and Graphics Card.

Ive been Looking at AMD A10 and I5, but overall im not sure in terms of the Graphics etc...

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions of what to get or what things i should be looking for

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Buying a Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Buying a Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Rare. May have to check the refurb market.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 11:22 PM PDT

The i5 is nice but you'll need a GPU to get to where you want.

The AMD 10 is nice and you can find frame rates so I won't duplicate what you are asking for.

8GB RAM is where I'd go as less would be a drag on performance.
Bob

Collapse -
Help
by Ethanjoel98 / May 27, 2015 11:28 PM PDT

So youd recommed the A10? What Graphics Card would you recommend as i Dont know if the integrated graphics are good enough, also what do you mean about the find frame rates

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Help

I can't give a nod here. There are no less than 5 versions of the A10 and i5 so I can't see if there are frame rate reports on the laptops you are looking at. But you can dig into that since you know the exact model.

I like to use notebookcheck for that and if I don't have a specific model in mind but I have the GPU models I can look into what the possible winner is with some googling.

Until you supply a pair of make and models, we can't see which would be better. But an i5 without a dedicated GPU would not make my list.
Bob

Collapse -
Help
by Ethanjoel98 / May 27, 2015 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

This is a laptop i was looking at:

SPECIFICATION
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor (1.7 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB cache)
RAM 8 GB DDR3 (16 GB maximum installable RAM)
Graphics card AMD Radeon™ R7 M260 (2 GB)
Storage 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
SCREEN
Screen size 15.6"
Screen type TruBrite LED backlit
Resolution 1366 x 768

Also i was thinking of Hooking the laptop onto my monitor, will this affect things in terms of minecraft

Collapse -
That will do Minecraft just fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2015 12:02 AM PDT

While I would not set to to high settings it will do fine on Minecraft.

HOWEVER a gamer may be upset due to this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M260.122208.0.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/radeon-m260-gaming-performance.207251/ shows it trades punches with another low end GPU so let's find some Minecraft on this GPU.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Radeon+m260&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Radeon+m260+minecraft pegs it at 20 to 50+ FPS so it does run OK. Again, a GAMER may be upset but it does run fine.
Bob

Collapse -
AGAIN...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2015 12:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Help
by Ethanjoel98 / May 28, 2015 12:09 AM PDT

Are there any other Laptops you recommend then, i want to be able to play the game on Medium settings at a good fps rate, i dont want to be lagging or using low settings. Also i may want to hookup my laptop to my monitor by hdmi. Will this affect Minecraft, performance or the frame rates

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2015 12:33 AM PDT

I don't consider 30+ FPS to be low on this class of laptops. As to the monitor, since even high end laptops have been found to drop rates over that connection no one can answer until you try it on yours.

Research this too "HDMI INPUT LAG."

VGA doesn't suffer as much but that's fading away.
Bob

Collapse -
Monitor
by Ethanjoel98 / May 28, 2015 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster LD220HD, I think it has a higher resolution than the laptop but cant find it in terms of input lag

Collapse -
That higher resolution will cut into the frame rate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2015 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor

It appears you have found a good laptop for the price. To push a higher resolution you'll have to invest more in the GPU area.

Collapse -
Help
by Ethanjoel98 / May 27, 2015 11:32 PM PDT

Also i thought the more RAM the better the Performance, theres not a big price difference soo..

Collapse -
No. 8GB is the sweet spot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 11:55 PM PDT

You won't see a frame rate increase by getting more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?