Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help buying a camcorder

I have $500-$700 to spend on a camcorder, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. Anyone have any suggestions on a good camcorder to buy?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help buying a camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help buying a camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start by telling about its use.

In reply to: Need help buying a camcorder

And what you plan to do with the video content later, expectations etc.

Collapse -
Use

In reply to: Start by telling about its use.

It's later use is just for home videos. I will be taking the camcorder on canoeing/family trips etc.

Collapse -
Internal Hard Drive

In reply to: Use

I do know that I would want an internal harddrive

Collapse -
Try Cnet's list at this link.

In reply to: Internal Hard Drive

Collapse -
Canon or Sony

In reply to: Need help buying a camcorder

Buy a flash based Canon. If you want HD, you should be able to get an HF-100 and a 16GB flash card for about $700 from a reputable dealer. You need a fairly high powered computer and some storage space if you go this route. The camera is small and takes excellent video.

If you don't need or want HD, you have a lot of options. An equivelent flash model would be the FS-100 from Canon... Sony makes some nice hard drive models as well.

You really need to be more specific with what you want. How often do you plan to use it? Do you have a high powered computer for HD videos? Do you want or need an HD picture? What do you want to record to? I think you mentioned you wanted a model with a hard drive, but flash is a nice option too.

Collapse -
Ended up buying...

In reply to: Canon or Sony

Collapse -
By the way

In reply to: Canon or Sony

@dookydevil:

Would you recommended the HF-100 over the HF-10? Kinda late now but just wondering...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.