Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Need help building a database on a CD or DVD

Hello all,

I'm working on a project for work and this is the first time we'll be doing this sort of thing but it's something that we may do more of in the future. What we have on hand is a series of very old drawings scanned into pdf format. What we want to do is have all of these pdf's on a CD or DVD and have the user be able to access the files via an html file in a web browser interface. Can any of you point me in the direction of a good reference to do this? If my explanation is not exactly clear, please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Pedo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help building a database on a CD or DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help building a database on a CD or DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep in mind one thing.

In reply to: Need help building a database on a CD or DVD

While you can make a web page of the files, the results of the mouse click to a PDF file is not under your control. This would only work if their machine had a PDF viewer installed.

Have you thought if that would be an issue?

Collapse -
Re: Keep in mind one thing.

In reply to: Keep in mind one thing.

That shouldn't be a problem. Our end user does have Adobe Reader and we work closely with our clients to ensure that they can see and/or use our end product in it's entirety.

I guess my question is how could I make a web page on a CD or DVD that can access files on that same disk?

Collapse -
So why not do it?

In reply to: Re: Keep in mind one thing.

The web link is straight html and the HTML code looks like this.

file://that.pdf ?

Sorry if I missed it. Did you need the HTML code?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: So why not do it?

In reply to: So why not do it?

Actually, I do need a good reference for some beyond basic html programming.

Regarding the line "file://that.pdf" - is that code for referencing a local file? If so, that's a good start for what we need.

Collapse -
That helped a lot.

In reply to: Re: So why not do it?

Collapse -
Re: That helped a lot.

In reply to: That helped a lot.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.