Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help building a basic PC

by Amerf12 / December 3, 2008 1:27 PM PST

Im going to need a PC that will run a few apps and probably a couple of games that dont require high-end graphics. I looked around and came up with these specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo [2.6 GHz]
DDR2 Ram [2 GB]
Hard Disk (sata) [250 GB]
Graphics Card [256 MB]

Now, I'd like to know if this will do the job and also if there are any additional things that I'm going to need other than a case.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help building a basic PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help building a basic PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ahh, one item
by Willy / December 3, 2008 11:21 PM PST

Everyone seems to forget the psu(power supply) and is taken for granted. All too often supplied with a new case while they work, may not for long or be underpowered. A decent system needs a good psu in order to remain stable and provide steady outputs. If you plan not to get into heavy gaming and generally a typical home system, a 500W+ psu will do fine. There are cheap offerings out there in the 500W range and when you look into the matter see the difference price makes and what will suit you. I take it seriously the lack of a decent psu in new systems, because of the reasons above. Everything else you mentioned seems OK. Use common sense and proceed, good luck.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by wisetalk85 / December 4, 2008 7:18 PM PST

the configs are ok
try to improve the VGA and get somethng good,
try some awesome multimedia accessories tooo

Collapse -
Your PC
by Vanguard12345-22606096745419013503944888355736 / December 5, 2008 7:03 AM PST

Be sure to get good RAM don't get anything less than PC2 6400 and be sure its a decent brand like Kingston or Corsair. Maybe upgrade the graphics card.

Collapse -
What are the apps?
by white-bread / December 7, 2008 3:49 PM PST

Two gigabytes can run a server and 256 megabytes can run a desktop and an emulated layer with games on each.

Collapse -
how much you are gonna spend
by moodyandy / December 7, 2008 5:18 PM PST

like the thing you need would be under $450.

Collapse -
Take a look at this option
by nmmenon / December 8, 2008 4:11 AM PST

If you can try to go for an Nvidia GeForce 9600GT graphics card with 512MB vram. Make sure that the SMPS or PSU (the power supply)is 500W or better. Try to get a DVD writer, its helpful in data backup. If you're going to watch movies you can add a Blu Ray player at a later
date when Blu Ray discs become mainstream. Go for a decent 19" LCD monitor or better

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?