Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need help: Bad_pool_call blue screen just before startup

by Landsburger / March 29, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

Hi all,

I could really use some help. I'm just about finished with a huge project, but I now can't start up my computer. What's happening:

Windows XP, sp2

On startup, it get's all the way to the where it says "window's is starting up" (when it's about to give you the options to select a profile), and I get the blue screen of death. Part of the info:

Bad_pool_call

Stop 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, NOTE:the following nummber is always different: 0xDC2B000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've tried to boot in safe mode(s), but it still crashes at the same spot. Any ideas? I'm really in bad shape.

Thanks for the time. I appreciate it.

Take care,
Landsburger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help: Bad_pool_call blue screen just before startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help: Bad_pool_call blue screen just before startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad driver?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

From this site; http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm it looks like a bad driver is responsible. At that site click the C2 link in the right hand column. Check the XP links for Microsoft Knowledge Based articles.

No details of your computer but did you make any hardware changes recently, or upgrade any drivers?

If you can get into Safe Mode you may be able to disable the driver in Device Manager or see if it is a graphics driver changing the screen resolution to the lowest possible allows you to reboot into normal mode and retrieve your work.

Safe mode guidance here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Mark

Collapse -
can't get in
by Landsburger / March 29, 2008 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad driver?

Thanks for the info.

I did install a few new programs (MP3 converter and CD cover designer) but I'm fairly certain I've rebooted since then (although not positive).

The problem now is that I can't even get in using safe mode. What are my other options?

Thanks

Collapse -
If you cannot get into Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: can't get in

then it is not looking promising.

I missed where you said in your first post that you had already tried Safe Mode, sorry. Does that mean you cannot even get to the Safe Mode list of options? Or can you get there but when you choose the first option then loading fails?

If you can see the list of options, have you tried "Last known good configuration"?

If that fails then your options are limited. You could try a Repair Installation of Windows, or I believe others here would suggest to remove the hard disk, and install it as a slave in another computer. That way you could possibly extract your documents and files. You may have to "Take Ownership" if you do that;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

How to perform a repair install

Mark

Collapse -
Re: bad_pool_call
by Kees Bakker / March 29, 2008 8:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad driver?

Searching google for bad_pool_call doesn't look promising. It could be a hardware issue or a corrupted registry, for example.
A repair install won't help in either case. A clean install surely helps against a corrupted registry (because it makes a totally new one), but hardware issues could still cause it to fail.

Things to try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 about recovering from a corrupted registry

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
update
by Landsburger / March 30, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: bad_pool_call

Thanks for the info and the links.

I did try last known configuration", and most if not all the other safe mode options. Is there anything I can "turn off" in the setup that might be causing the hardware problem?

Does how far I can get into the boot-up give a clue to what could be the problem (it's right before it shows you your profiles and it's saying "Windows is starting up...")

It looks like, if I can somehow find my XP disk, I can maybe replace the registry.

Is getting the info off my 2 discs in that computer as simple as pulling them out and placing them in a working computer? If the drive was previously a C/bootable drive, do I need to do anything special?

If it is a hardware problem, how in the heck do I diagnose what it is?

Thanks again to all for the time.

Collapse -
Re: update
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2008 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: update

Getting things of the hard disks is as easy as mounting them as slave in another PC or putting them as external disk in an USB enclosure. Those are $20 a piece or so.

If with a new hard disk it boots from the Windows CD, makes and formats a partition, installes Windows XP and runs it without problems, it most likely isn't a hardware issue, or an issue with one of your current hard disks. If that clean install scenario fails, it's a hardware issue. Then remove hardware until the bare minimum (motherboard, hard disk, CD-drive, keyboard, mouse, video) and try again.

Kees

Collapse -
Is getting the info off my 2 discs in that computer as
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

"Is getting the info off my 2 discs in that computer as simple as pulling them out and placing them in a working computer? If the drive was previously a C/bootable drive, do I need to do anything special?"

Some will put in a new hard disk, reinstall the OS then add a drive to get their files out. That's the usual and CHEEP compared to repair counters.

Repair of this OS is not always possible or rather the extreme methods I use are not easy enough for me to share here. They involve Linux boot cds and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.