General discussion

Need help about International Text Messaging

Need help about International Text Messaging. I live in NJ and I need to know which cell phone service provider I should choose which will allow me to send and receive text messages to Bangladesh. Presently I have Sprint PCS and they told me they do not have International Text Messaging capability. Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help about International Text Messaging
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help about International Text Messaging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Need help about International Text Messaging

It may upset you, but you may be running into a Homeland Security issue and no one may tell you about it.

What you can try is to open the phone book and call each provider, but it seems like a security problem?

Bob

- Collapse -

Why it should be a security issue? Every country in the world now a days using Text Messaging to reduce their International Call Expenses. I hope very soon USA Cell Phone Service Providers will understand this most important feature of the cell phone and will add that feature.

- Collapse -
Just sharing...

Again, I shared the issue with you and you may not want to take the hint. All I can do is drop the hint...

Bob

- Collapse -
Re: Just sharing...

BOB, we all have international business needs. This whole "outsider image" of terriorists, is incredibly wide-spread and appaling. The greatest threat is ignorance. Would you have the same feelings if he was text messaging the UK versus the Middle East? Just a rhetorical question.

- Collapse -
My view doesn't matter.

All you need to do is to listen to the various directors of CIA, FBI and Homeland Security to see part of this picture. I can share a tiny slice of insight since I worked on a two-way data system and when data encryption was introduced, we learned a great deal about how paranoid some can be.

But you do know that if you can make a billion bucks off such a thing, the issues change again...

Weird? Isn't it?

Bob

- Collapse -
T-mobile does support internatinal text messaging

I used to send SMS to my ex-BF in Malaysia. T-mobile does support international SMS for 15cents to send and free incoming SMS, I think..
As far as I know, I can still send SMS to Malaysia even today. (11-26-04)

T-mobile supports SMS to Malaysia, but, not sure if they support SMS to Bangladesh.

Try asking them.

- Collapse -
here is an alternative
- Collapse -

All that home security talk is bullcrap!
Many local landline companies are U.S. based offering mobile services. Other mobile service providers such as TMobile are WorldWide Mobile service providers. Of course Int'l communications is supported due to demand and is almost all profit. TMobile offers Int'l Roaming and Long Distance, as well as, Int'l Text Msg'ing which is automatically a an available feature for everyone's use. All domestic TMs are $.05/msg, however, Int'l TMs are $.05incoming and $.15outgoing. They offer features to purchase 300, 1000, and unl TMs for a give price btwn $2.99 and $9.99. Only, outgoing Int'l TMs are not covered in these TM bundles. Other, WorldWide Mobile providers offer similar services, I specify on TMobile since they are my employer.

- Collapse -

Verizon and Cingular both offer international text messaging services. The fees are higher to send text msgs internationally. Also, none of the service providers I have checked with offer any monthly packages. Good luck

- Collapse -

Check with a GSM Carrier like t-mobile,att or cingular and see if they have a roaming agreement with your country-then while at the store Do a test SMS to that other phone
r u doing from a PC or from a phone?
Let me know how it works out
worldman

- Collapse -

Cingular has a great package to text messaging internationally and domestically. You can look at what they have to offer on Cingular.com. Their customer service support is excellent. Been a member for 4 years with no problems. I'm currently trying to find a Korean Phone for my son who will be going there for one year in February. No American phones will work!

Good Luck!

- Collapse -
Tholt

Your son can buy a cell phone in Korea for cheap that offers text messaging and all that when he gets here. It would be his best bet. The phones are in English and Hangul so he would have no trouble using it at all. I have two, one for me, one for my husband. Just my two cents.

- Collapse -

Text messaging from Sprint is a big problem internationally, but luckily there is a solution for all you Sprint customers who want to send International messages. There is a service from a company called iPiPi (www.ipipi.com) that lets you send 2-way messages from your PC to a mobile phone anywhere for only 10 cents (US). Compared to most, there are no hidden charges and the coverage is very reliable. Good luck and have fun texting to Bangladesh!

- Collapse -

Yes, but that is a one-way connection. You can't send from your phone to another phone internationally with Sprint.

Cingular, AT&T and T-Mobile all offer international Text messaging right from your phone. Verizon MAY as well, I don't know for sure. Sprint seems to be the only major carrier lagging behind here.

- Collapse -
two-way international sms

No, I've used ipipi and other international sms services. most of them are two-way. I know ipipi is for sure. I find them cheaper than the bigger carriers, too.

- Collapse -
Free online text messenger
http://www.chikka.com

this website provides a free PC to Cell text messenger and it is free. YOu do not pay one penny for use or download. and also you can text international. I use it all the time to text the philippines and I live in the United states.
- Collapse -
text message relay system.

I was wondering if there is something that you can send a text to a computer system or something, so that i can send sms from the us to norway and vice versa. I am with verizon and they allow to all countries other than norway in europe to send text and i need to send texts there. So if there is a number you can send a text to, preferably in the us, which then sends a message on to the ophone number you have specified that would be perfect. The whole idea is that i would liek to send sms from my phone to a phone and not to have to use the internet... Any ideas?

- Collapse -
Agile Messenger

You can download Agile messenger for your cellphone. It's compatible for Symbian (nokias) and pocket pcs. You can login in with AOL and Yahoo messenger. I always send free text msg through there. Just add a plus (+) sign and add the numbers to your buddy list. The recipient usually pays to receive. It's great for International, too. I think Yahoo works better.It connects with your GPRS not the text msg service so you won't be charge with anything. Or wifi for pocket pcs.

- Collapse -
where

where can you download such program

- Collapse -
agile messenger

HELP : Where i can download the agilemessenger ? which site ? plz help me , daniel2876@hotmail.com

- Collapse -
re hi

hello sa lahat ng nakabasa dito

- Collapse -
sms messenging

which website can i go to to find this free pc to cell text messenging? could you please specify for me i would greatly appreciate it. I went to ippip and it costs. so if you have time write back thanks

- Collapse -
Try Chikka

I just started using Chikka. Read the thread "Email-to-SMS?" in this forum, last posted to on March 5.

If you do use Chikka, be sure to read all its help files and online stories. The interface isn't all that intuitive. However, it works and it's free.

- Collapse -
International SMS and email to sms

Loop can run over VPN and forward messages from the client residing anywhere to recipients mobile phone.
Visit www.c-loop.com

- Collapse -
Don't use Cingular

Cingular charges 20cent per international text even if you have a package with a text bundle. The cingular international charge was only introduced a few months ago. Total rip off, my bill gone from $49.99 to almost $90. From what i have read, t-mobile seems to have the best deal, 15cent for international text

CNET Forums