Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Need help

Sep 21, 2013 11:17AM PDT

Have an iPhone 4 with Verizon. A few weeks ago, phone no longer had any sound from external speaker. Took device to cell repair shop (out of warranty) and replaced speaker. Device sounds work and volume control set to loudest level.

Problem is that the ringer for incoming calls does not work. No trouble hearing callers or them hearing me. Can select ringtones and hear them playing. Ringer is not set to silent. (as far as I can determine). Just tried updating to iOS 7 but made no difference.

Any ideas or suggestions ??

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Shot in the dark here.
Sep 21, 2013 11:19PM PDT

All the iPhones have a mechanical switch that turns off the ringer BUT allows you to hear hear ringtones when you select them from the Settings app.

On the iPhone 4 it is on the upper left side. Whatever position it is in now, flip it the other way.

Did that work?

P

- Collapse -
Thanks !!!
Sep 22, 2013 1:26AM PDT

Duh, don't know how I missed that. Works fine now.

- Collapse -
(NT) Always nice to get a winner!
Sep 22, 2013 2:06AM PDT