General discussion

need help

Im new here so please bear with me if i make any mistakes,
anyways my pc started acting up and i was wondering if any of u have a solution, so here goes-
It started a few days ago where it finished loading it would beep and then say overclock failed and must reboot, or something to that effect( happened so fast i couldnt catch all the words) only problem is i never tried to overclock my machine.
so i decided to unplug and pull out battery to bios hoping that would solve the problem.( was that a mistake?)
So on next startup all looked good, got thru loading screen, and everything looked good till it just went beep and shut down to reboot. after that i just pulled the plug and came here to ask u guys and wont touch it till i get an answer.
here are my specs if needed
CPU-i7 920 2.66 ghz
PSU-OCZ modstream 700w
MOBO-Asus P6T ATX
RAM-OCZ 6gb ddr3
OS-Vista ultimate 64bit
HD-WD 640GB 3.5 sata
GPU- ati 5760
any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: need help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Is the HS and HS Fan firmly attached ??
- Collapse -
HS

first thanks for the advice, i tried what u said it seems to be firmly in place, so i cleaned it and the rest on the insides from top to bottom and that seemed to do the trick, that is until today. It just randomly shutdown again. any ideas?

- Collapse -
Since you didn't supply a manufacture ...

name or computer model I will work on the assumption that either you or someone else "built" the computer from a "bare bones" parts kit.

If it was not you then you should get with whoever did the assembly to see if they overclocked either the CPU or the GPU.

The CPU is normally overclocked via the BIOS and in different methods for different BIOS while the GPU (and sometimes the CPU) have a small utility application installed on the hard drive for overclocking.

If you pulled the CMOS battery you likely disrupted the BIOS settings and should access the BIOS and locate the selection for loading the Fail-safe defaults or the Optomized Defaults and load them.

The manual that came with your motherboard should show you which screen of the BIOS the settings can be located at.

CNET Forums

Forum Info