Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need Help!!

by russ2937 / November 16, 2008 5:24 AM PST

I am using a computer with XP Home Edition on the C: drive. Recently added another drive with four NTFS partions, one of them is only for Data. Other users also have access to the computer and so have set up different accounts for them. Problem is, that they cannot open the C: drive but can see the Data patition. Downloaded Tweak UI to conceal this partition but it only conceals it from C: and not as required from the other Users. XP Home ED also does not seem to allow me to Hide or not share the partition. Can anybody help with suggestion??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've locked your first post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Need Help!!

It's the same, but I see there were no replies

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Tell me if I have this right.

This computer runs XP Home and it is set up with multiple accounts for other users. The other users cannot open the C drive where the Operating System is. I'm not sure how that works, because even users with limited accounts should still be able to use their My Computer to see the hard disk, and if they cannot access it, then presumably none of their programs would work.

Do all these other users have full Admin accounts? If so, then any changes you make to the system, they can unmake.

If they have limited user accounts, then what you could do is hide all the files on the data partition, and limit the users ability to access or change folder options where they could unhide files. If they have full Admin access, then you can't do that.

Mark

Collapse -
Reword the problem
by russ2937 / November 16, 2008 11:21 PM PST

Other Users have limited access and can see C: drive but cannot open or see My Docs of the Administrator. Tweak UI concels the Data partition when when viewed from C: drive, but when viewed by other users it shows up and can be opened. How do I prevent these limited access users from viewing my Data files.

Post 1 of 3 | Back to top

Collapse -
Re: hiding data
by Kees Bakker / November 17, 2008 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Reword the problem

Buy XP Professional and disable simple file sharing. Then you can set access limititations to specific users. Not supported for XP Home.

Kees

Collapse -
I believe you cannot share the entire boot drive
by Steven Haninger / November 16, 2008 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Need Help!!

but you can create a share on that drive. XP doesn't like to give access to the Programs or Windows folders, as I recall. If you need to do so with XP Home, you can try using the administrator account in safe mode which allows you to set user permissions. As well, XP Home is going to allow all defined users access to shares. To set permissions for users separately, it's another trip to safe mode.

Collapse -
Seems to work
by russ2937 / November 17, 2008 5:11 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestions. Can prevent access through Safe Mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?