Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

need help

by bigjoexx / March 3, 2006 8:55 AM PST

I need help big time my Mcaffe ran out of the subscription about 2 days ago and i need to find a new virus protection software... can u tell me what is the best virus protection software out there and how much it is?/?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are many good ones
by roddy32 / March 3, 2006 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: need help
Collapse -
Need help
by marinetbryant / March 3, 2006 9:59 AM PST

Being a newbie I read the forums and chose several standalone programs. NOD32 for av, EWIDO for most all the other nasties, Outpost Firewall, Adaware SE Plus w/Adwatch. These were all paid versions. Then I have MS Beta and the stuff AOL supplies.

Tom

Collapse -
Need new A/V..
by Larry38 / March 3, 2006 11:32 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well, I see my first post has returned.
by Larry38 / March 3, 2006 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Need new A/V..
Collapse -
Need A/V...
by Larry38 / March 3, 2006 11:53 AM PST

My other post disappeared, so will try again.

I use avast free version, very good A/V.
Link
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

If you need a Firewall, I use Kerio Paid version, but it has a free version.
Link
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Spyware realtime, Windows Defender Beta, works fine. also free.
Link
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Also would suggest Ewido, free after 14 days.
Link

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Hope this will help.
Larry

Collapse -
Joe .. you asked for help about finding the best..
by Carol~ Moderator / March 3, 2006 1:03 PM PST

virus protection software.

I've copied something I wrote in one of the many threads, where the same question has been asked.

''When using the word ''best''.. it will all boil down to what is best for you. There are those who feel best is, that which doesn't ''hog'' memory. There are those who feel AVG's ''price is right''. There are also those, such as I, that use McAfee and find it does the job and is ''problem free'' - my criteria. Some people feel if their AV or anti-spyware hasn't found anything - it's useless. Other's find if it detects too many things .. they must be false positives. There are those that complain about a certain AV, only to find they had ''other issue's'' going on, which caused conflicts with the software. And the list goes on.''

In the end, it's going to be your personal choice. If you're looking for other people's opinions, [url=

http://reviews.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?rankBy=10001&numResults=20&categoryID=2&lucene=true&forumID=32&threadID=161038&m=10&tag=cnr&q=best+AntiVirus&select=All+CNET+Forums]here are some and here are some more.

It's all relative. You may wish to look through the prior posts and see what aspects of AV software is important to you.. then make your choice. As you know, if you've been without protection for a couple of days.. you best get reading quickly! Wink You certainly wouldn't want to be without it.

Just my opinion..
Carol

(As to prices, within the posts, people sometimes allude to whether or not it is free. If they haven't, after deciding on a few that you think you like, you can always put the name in Google. You'll find out quick enough how much it costs.)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good advice! :)
by glenn30 / March 3, 2006 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
thanks everyone...
by bigjoexx / March 3, 2006 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Good advice! :)

were can i get NT?/?

Collapse -
If you are talking about
by roddy32 / March 3, 2006 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: thanks everyone...

the (NT) that appears in Glenn's post, that stands for "No Text" in the body of the message. His whole message is in the title of the post. Happy

Collapse -
Bigjoe
by glenn30 / March 3, 2006 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: thanks everyone...

(NT) simply means there is no message in the text body. Only the subject title will be showing. Grin

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?