Question

Need HDR Calibration settings for TCL S405

I recently bought a 43 inch TCL S405. When I connected my ps4 (not ps4 pro) to it and turned on HDR, the picture seems washed out and dull. It is far more vibrant with HDR off. What could be the cause of this? Has anybody had this problem? If so what are the HDR settings you use to achieve vibrant colour with HDR enabled?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need HDR Calibration settings for TCL S405
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need HDR Calibration settings for TCL S405
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That model gets kicked around a lot.
- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Looking for gaming settings tho
- Collapse -
No moving the goal posts.

Also, there is no vibrant colors with HDR on many of the cheap HDR sets. You may encounter folk that disbelieve that but they get to live with it. The fix remains to turn off HDR for better results.

About moving the goal posts. Gaming settings would be to me, HDR off and if the set has it, Game Mode on.

- Collapse -
TV not the problem

For the record, I don't believe the TV is the problem, and I don't know how you came to that conclusion. From what I have seen, HDR content on the inbuilt YouTube app looks very good, so I suspect the problem is the feed the PS4 sends to the tv once you change ps4 settings to HDR. Notwithstanding that though, a vivid HDR mode would be nice. Hopefully TCL includes one in an update. For the time being u can simply calibrate HDR settings for a more vivid look.

- Collapse -
How I got here.

With the recent release of many economical HDR sets you read a rise in folks commenting about HDR in those sets. You can find these in the CNET and AVSForums.

Yes you can calibrate, adjust for better than factory but the complaints are there even after calibration. Folk expected better it seems.

- Collapse -
Answer
Maybe

the toggle between both of those is hooked up backwards?

CNET Forums