Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need free version 1.1 of Startup Cop.

by Harv / March 20, 2004 12:45 PM PST

Some nice guy gave me the website of this version last year, but when I reformatted my OS, it got lost. Anyone else have this version saved for a rainy day?
PC Magazine charges to use their website for downloads.
Okay, I'm cheap. Happy

Marianna, I think you had a substitute for this utility. Would appreciate the info again. BTW, is there any way to search for a specific topic in CNET forum like before?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need free version 1.1 of Startup Cop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need free version 1.1 of Startup Cop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need free version 1.1 of Startup Cop.
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 20, 2004 1:08 PM PST

Hi Harv,

guess, it's your lucky day Happy

Go HERE

and scroll down to StartUp Cop v. 1.1 by PC Magazine.

Nope, no search yet, but it is "in the works" Happy

What I had was: PCForrest Startman Startup Manager
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

Hope this helps Wink

Collapse -
Re:Re:Need free version 1.1 of Startup Cop.
by Harv / March 20, 2004 6:04 PM PST

Marianna, you're a peach! I did a search on Google and came up empty. I've had a terrible time with my pc this week. It locked up and couldn't be unfrozen even by using CTRL+ALT+DEL, so I rebooted it and lost WinXP.
Brought it to a repair shop and had him backup the files I needed (my CD reader wasn't working or maybe it was me?)plus had a clean version of Home Edition installed (instead of my previous UPGRADE version). A guy from the local cable company came yesterday to install high speed cable connection, but something is wrong with the cable wiring in the main box outside.

Thanks for bringing a little smile Happy to my face.

Collapse -
Harv, You're Welcome
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 21, 2004 12:43 AM PST

sorry to hear you had so much problems ! Why did your computer behave the way it did?? Any idea what happened??

Hope you get your highspeed fixed - why do you think it is the cable wiring in the main box outside?

Collapse -
Re:Harv, You're Welcome
by Harv / March 21, 2004 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Harv, You're Welcome

About a year ago, I booted up my pc and was unable to get into Windows. The computer repairman discovered upon examination that some of the files on my hard disk were scrambled or missing, so he had to reformat it.

The latest problem came about, while I doing some work in a couple of open windows. Suddenly, the screen froze and I could not restore it even by pressing ctrl+alt+del. Maybe I going too fast between windows and did not let one process finish before initiating another one? Anyway, the screen went black, after I rebooted. I tried using a rescue disk to reboot and an error message came up telling me to remove the disk or CD and press any key to continue. When I did, I only got a blank screen. I was able to get into Safe Mode, but when I clicked on and entered my OS, WinXP Home Edition, the prompt told me it was not available. Later, I found out from the repairman my hard drive showed 37GB free space and everything, including WinXP, had disappeared. He was just as perplexed as I was as to how this happened. Owning a computer is getting to be quite an expensive proposition! Do you have any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong to experience two computer breakdowns in such a short period of time?

Regarding the high speed cable connection, the installer came to the conclusion that the problem for their inablility to connect me with high speed cable is at the main box outside my home, and not at their main power station. Otherwise, the neighboring service area would be experiencing the same inconnectivity problem. Since I've been using dialup modem for over three years, I think I can tough it out a few more days. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.