Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need formating help

I am reinstalling Win98SE on a Compaq 5050 computer because it had spyware and viruses that slow down the computer and caused to many errors. I wanted to clean everything and begin fresh but every time I select to format the harddrive it goes to the format screen pauses and then moves to the next screen without formating and the computer will not load the OS system. I have reistalled 98SE before on other computers and done upgrades and this has never happen before. Has anyone had this problem before or has a link to a tool that will format the hard so I can reinstall the OS system.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need formating help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need formating help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you in a windows environment

In reply to: Need formating help

when you try to format the drive? Or did you boot up with a W98SE bootdisk to get to the A: prompt instead where the command is normally used? Windows itself won't let you format the drive if it's running at the time. Here are the steps for W98SE...there is a printer friendly link at the bottom that takes out most of the graphics. Print it ahead of time so you have it handy.

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdds/format.only.htm

TONI

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Are you in a windows environment

I use the OS system disc and let the system boot from the CD. I have done it this way before without a problem. It is not my computer and thats the only disc the person had, but I have already downloaded all of the drivers from Compaq's site. I'll retry again later today & thanks for the link

Collapse -
This is the way it's done with XP

In reply to: RE:

Never heard it done that way with Win 98, unless oit is a restore CD such as the proprietary systems come with.

Collapse -
Are you using

A factory restore disc or a full install OS/CD.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Full install

In reply to: Are you using

Collapse -
I Use A Windows 98 Boot Floppy to Format The Disk..

In reply to: (NT) Full install

Then place the Windows 98 CD in the CD-Rom drive, then run it by typeing "Setup.exe" in the drive prompts command line..If you don't have one, you can create a Windows 98 bootfloppy by placing a blank floppy in the floppy drive of a functioning Windows 98 machine, open the Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs, then click the "Startup Disk" tab, then choose "Create Disk".

The link below will describe the Windows 98 format and installation procedures..

How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System (Q221829)

Toni Hackler's post in the "Tips" thread from comuter newbies should also help. It's a little long but provides all the information you'll ever need.:

Toni Hackler's: How To Fdisk and Format Drives..lengthy post

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for the help

I enter the Fdisk and removed the partition for the harddrive and then just install Win98 as normal. Enabled large disc support and formatted the HD and everything went as smooth as silk from there. Below is my steps as much as I can remember.

Loaded Win 98SE disc
Boot from CD
Option 2
A:/fdisk
Option 3, then 1, then 1, Y and enter.
Restart and Boot from CD
Option 1 and you should be good from there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.