Question

Need for constant .Net Security Updates to be installed

Windows xp sp3, all updates current. Running .net 3.5 family. Three KB's, 2518864,2572073 & 2633880 seem to install properly but then windows update requests them to be installed again, and again. Looked in add and remove to see if I could uninstall from there and try again, but they were not listed. Rebooted after each install even though it did not request to be rebooted. Maybe their not being installed in the correct place, but I don't know where that is or how to tell windows where to install them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Eddie

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need for constant .Net Security Updates to be installed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need for constant .Net Security Updates to be installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Any error codes

or other error messages?

Since these are all related to .Net Framework updates, have a look at Microsoft's advice in the link below and try their fix;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

If their FixIt doesn't solve the issues try their manual steps in that page.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Hi Mark,

Apparently the fix is actually not a fix-it but a new update to Windows XP Redistributable Installer 4.5 created today, May 22nd, 2012.

Link for this fix is here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

Link to a thread at Secunia forum here; read post by npmills, a member at Secunia near the bottom of thread. If running the redistributable does not work, information on how to remove and reinstall .NET security updates is just below the link provided for the redistributable link above.

Here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12677/windows_update_missing_three_net_security_updates

Fortunately the redistributable update worked first time. For XP, (seems only XP is affected) use the following: Windows XP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe, size 3.2 MB, run that and reboot.

Firestorm issue.

- Collapse -
Glad that worked for you

I was a bit unsure of the link I offered as there had been no error codes reported, so good find and I hope it helps others.

Others have reported the same problem with these 3 updates in these forums, and I see from your Secunia link that we are not the only ones.

Firestorm appears about right.

Mark

- Collapse -
Issue seems resolved

No error codes in event viewer. Tried method 1, ran Fix it. Rebooted. KB's showed up again in 'tray' and installed same. Rebooted. Add and remove does not show "these" updates installed. Review history in windows update shows 5 "sets" of successful installation of these KB's. In the time that it took to type this, the KB's have shown up again in the tray or windows update, take your pick.

Completed method 2, took a while. Rebooted, windows update had me install 18 updates related to 'dot net'. Saw the deal regarding KB942288 v3. Installed same just to be safe. Rebooted. That was about 5 hours ago, so far everything seems ok. Windows update is finally clear.

Thanks everyone,

Eddie

- Collapse -
That's great

and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

- Collapse -
Clarification request:Clarification

The Digital Sig. for Windows Installer v.4.5.0.0 (KB942288-v3) is May 22, 2008. Four years later and a signifigant number of XP still have the previous version 3.1 (KB/893803) Wouldn't suggest this was a*fix* for current issue but certainly upgrading may solve other past or future update installation.

The hinky loop appears to be due to detection logic for re-release deployment of another security update.

For some the solution was simply to manually invoke Windows Update (Run>wupdmgr). and select a Custom Scan.

- Collapse -
Answer
same here

i got the same updates today that you are talking about and same thing is going on with both my laptops....i hope someone has the answer....

- Collapse -
Answer
Same here!

Running XP Pro SP3.

Identical issues.

- Collapse -
Answer
Try this
Fix It.
It has solved the problem in several PCs with XP.
- Collapse -
I always worry

about generalized "Fix it's", especially if the problem is not general, but specific as these would appear to be.

Mark

CNET Forums