Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Need Flash Based mp3 player

by jrmy_1 / March 1, 2007 10:49 AM PST

I've been looking to buy an mp3 player for about a year and a half, but there are too many choices. I will be using it for listening to music, e-books (such as for school and learning programs). I will be using it at the gym, snowboarding, running, biking, etc. I would like something robust that has a long battery life (hopefully that can be recharged/replaced), and doesn't need to many accessories. I'm looking for 8 GB preferrably, but I can go lower if necessary.

I've been looking at:

sandisk
creative zen V plus
ipod nano
iriver clix

Anybody have recommendations on the most robust, longest battery life, nicest interface, etc.? Please provide other models and other players that might be recommended. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Flash Based mp3 player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Flash Based mp3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sandisk
by kpo6969 / March 1, 2007 2:55 PM PST

I have a Sansa e260(4GB)and have had no problems with. The e280 is 8GB

Collapse -
Additionally
by ktreb / March 1, 2007 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: Sandisk

You can expand the capacity of the SanDisk Sansa e280 (or any other player in the e200 series) with a microSD card. It also has a removeable rechargeable lithium ion battery. It's probably proprietary though, but I'm not sure of this. At least you can buy another battery when it eventually craps out for good rather than buy a new player.

Collapse -
well.....
by jrmy_1 / March 2, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Additionally

I guess I would do most of my ripping from cds I already have or mp3s. I don't need anything fancy. I want something that is really durable, as in won't break and isn't buggy, but I don't care if the exterior scratches and stuff. I've heard the IPOD is a tank and that the Creative V Plus isn't so robust. Not sure but have read some bad reviews on the Sandisk, also. Any one of these units more robust than the other? Also, how about battery life? Will it work all day?

Thanks.

Collapse -
My original recommendation
by ktreb / March 2, 2007 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: well.....

It was mainly based on your desire for a removeable battery. (I don't know too much about the Clix, but it looks nice) Both the iPod Nano and Creative Zen V Plus do not have removeable batteries.

I should let you know that I own several iPods and I like them alot. If you're going in the direction of the Nano, the 2nd generation is a big improvement over the first which I passed on at release because of the scratch factor. I like the colors and with the aluminum casing, is very durable. I do keep it in a clear case, but I do take it out a lot when I want to lose the bulk. I use it several hours a day and probably do a full charge once every couple of weeks. It gets charged a little bit every day when I sync it. Battery life is supposed to be 24 hours. I've never tested that claim out.

It probably won't work with e-books, since it is not an e-book reader. Maybe you mean audiobooks? It works with Audible (purchased), but if you mean those from the library that have drm (not the cds you check out - you can rip these to mp3), then probably not. If they are in mp3 format, which are not drm'ed, then you'll be okay.

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by jrmy_1 / March 4, 2007 12:06 PM PST

Thanks for the help. Yes, I did mean audio books, not ebooks. It is down to the Sandisk and the IPod I think. I'm going with the most durable and least buggy according to review. I appreciate the help.

J-

Collapse -
sandisk sansa e270r
by tcozz / March 4, 2007 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: well.....

i just bought the sandisk sansa e270r and it is extremely sturdy. it has a very strong metal back and the whole things seems very sturdy... except for the plastic scroll wheel. it feels like a toy...
hope this helped

Collapse -
Look for the Clix2
by Mathemusician / March 6, 2007 5:37 AM PST

The iRiver Clix2 will come in upt to 8GB and will be released in the U.S. in April, it has an incredible OLED screen, it's flash compatible, records voice and FM (maybe lin-in too, but I'm not sure on that), it plays video, pictures, and it's a flash-based player. If you can wait until April, this would be my player of choice.

Collapse -
YES!!
by jrmy_1 / March 6, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Look for the Clix2

Thanks for the update. I'm going to wait. The only reason I didn't go with an iRiver is because of the 2gb max storage. I'll go with the iRiver.

Collapse -
How do u get videos on the iriver clix?????
by JohnnyItaly81 / March 7, 2007 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: YES!!

help please!! =)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.