Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need Firewall ASAP

by mommapez / October 31, 2004 10:51 PM PST

Hi...I am having a multitude of problems with my IBM computer WinMe. Getting an error message that reads...error starting program..(Trident.Dll file is linked to missing export..)...it appears that my Sygate is not in the start up menu although it is in my Add/Remove Programs. Adaware will not update..and when I run my AVG. 6.0 it states Resident Shield not fully functional....I need a firewall that is free and wondered if someone would recommend one. (I hate to buy any program because of the fact alot of programs dont like WinME. Any suggestions appreciated. thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Firewall ASAP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Firewall ASAP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First off. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 31, 2004 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Need Firewall ASAP

AVG is stopping support and updates (I think) for the free version.

Firewall - get ZoneAlarm, the free version. It's received the highest ratings from PCWorld and PCMag. Go here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp and look for the free version.

Collapse -
Re: AVG FREE version update...
by glenn30 / November 1, 2004 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: First off. . .

What's happening with AVG 6 Free is the software is being updated with a new free version to be introduced this month... then AVG 6 Free (to become obsolete) with support being discontinued after Dec 31, 2004. Present users will be offered and the new upgrade and first time users can download it from www.grisoft.com. Grisoft explains at the following link:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5443/lng/us/tpl/v5

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 4, 2004 11:27 AM PST

You know I read about the new v 7 ... but have noticed since the announcement that AVG hasn't issued new dat files since 11-1, and they used to update more often than that. It seems to me that their support is declining already. My concern is that we might be exposed to new virus's while they transition to Free v 7. Am I just paranoid or seeing more than is there?

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 4, 2004 11:40 AM PST

Jake, I cannot be sure and you may be right but as I remember the old version is to be supported until Dec. 31, 2004 at which time all support ends. Will be watching in the upcoming days to see if there are updates but I really feel AVG will not let old and loyal users down in the interim. That would be a terrible blow to their reputation. Hope you are being paranoid. Grin

Safe computing,

Glenn

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 5, 2004 5:18 AM PST

Glen - I appreciate your trust and faith in Grisoft ... however, it's now 4 days and counting since new dat files. I don't ever recall waiting this long for updates (except McAfee). If after 6 days nothing, I'm uninstalling and loading a free 30 day trial of Panda, then a free 30 day trial of Trend Micro, then a free 30 day trial of BitDefender, etc. Somehow I have this feeling that they are letting v 6.0 "slip" while they work on the transition ... I won't be left exposed. It's not like I over-paid for this app anyway ...

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 7, 2004 5:49 AM PST

Thank goodness, they updated today!

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 8, 2004 1:14 AM PST

I did not get to check yesterday but there was a biggie today of about 3.2Mb. Jake, we all feel better now. I take it that today's update was not the promised upgrade to the software. Most likely still to come. Happy

Regards,

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Need Firewall ASAP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 12:41 AM PST

Momma,

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling Sygate? If you like it, you should be able to get it working. If not, ZoneAlarm is a good free one. For your Windows ME machine, instead of installing the most recent version which has a few problems on older machines, I recommend installing the older "4.5.594" version. Here's the link and look for the "4.5.594" download button. Remember, if you install ZA, you'll need to uninstall Sygate first.:

ZoneAlarm Download Site

The older version of Ad-Aware is being phased out and some are having problems with updating it. That could explain your issue. Uninstall your current version and install the most current free "Ad-Aware SE" from the link below. It should update correctly:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Re: Ooops! Beat me to it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Need Firewall ASAP

I was toooooo slow with my typing....!

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Need Firewall ASAP..Thank you.......action taken...
by mommapez / November 1, 2004 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Need Firewall ASAP
Collapse -
Momma, Glad We Could Help ! And.......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 11:25 PM PST

....Keep up the safe computing.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: And....one problem......
by mommapez / November 2, 2004 2:29 AM PST

Grif ...thank you...just wanted to ask...installed Zone Alarm 4.5.594...but I am finding it will not allow MSN Messenger to be opened...any suggestions. Also I find it slow to allow Microsoft Outlook Express to receive email. There are a few other problems that I can live with..e.g. shutting down my computer..at times.... thanks again...

Collapse -
Re: And....one problem......
by glenn30 / November 2, 2004 6:16 AM PST

Not Grif... but your symptoms are indicitive of malware or other nasties on your system. I doubt your porblem is with either version of ZoneAlarm as some malware attempts to interfere with ZA.

Suggest you follow the advice in Grif's previous post to rid your system of these pests.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Collapse -
Momma, Make Sure Messenger and OE Are Allowed.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 9:32 AM PST

Open the ZA console, click on the "Program Control" section on the left side, then scroll down through the entries and make sure that both programs have CHECK marks next to the "internet" access column.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Need Firewall ASAP
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 12:49 AM PST

You appear to have multiple problems. Whether they are related or all seperate, I don't know. Can you find your Sygate Firewall program in Start > Programs? If so, can you load it from there, or is there an error message? What is it?

You may want to go over to the Sygate forums at;

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

if there is a specific problem with Sygate. If you cannot get it to work quickly, download ZoneAlarm as suggested before, disconnect from the internet and uninstall Sygate then install ZoneAlarm.

Ad-Aware were having problems the last few days. Uninstall and Reinstall Ad-Aware, then re-download the latest reference file, or go to;

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/ Select your version of Ad-Aware, and your OS, (Windows ME), and look at the advice given there.

AVG - If Resident Shield is not fully functional, I suspect that something has been changed in your msconfig file to delete or disable AVG from running at start up.

Uninstall and Reinstall AVG, then download the latest virus definitions. AVG 6 ceases to be effective after 31/12/04, but at the end of November their new version, AVG 7 becomes available as a free download.

I would perform complete scans when you get these working, ie an AVG scan and Ad-Aware scan, and also scan with Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?