Laptops forum

General discussion

Need feedback on Acer Aspire 1522LMi-XPP

by mayurbs16 / November 15, 2004 11:39 PM PST

I'm looking to purchase this laptop, but have not been able to find any kind of review about it anywhere....

I need to know how is the overall performance and dependability, i also want some info about the battery life of the laptop.....

i would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me with this

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need feedback on Acer Aspire 1522LMi-XPP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need feedback on Acer Aspire 1522LMi-XPP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need feedback on Acer Aspire 1522LMi-XPP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 11:46 PM PST

1. It runs Windows so it's not that dependable. I know this sounds rash, but you didn't tell if you wanted to disregard such. The SPYWARE and exploit issues continue to make this so.

2. The battery time will vary from about 2 to 6 hours on time. 2 hours is about what I get in this class notebook running a game like Doom 3. It doesn't seem to change much across make/model except for P4 desktop replacement units that get about 1 hour. For DVD play, it seems to average 4 hours. And when you do something like web surfing you get 4 and up.
Not much changes these numbers.

3. The battery fails sometime after 18 months or 500 charges. This applies to all the current models with LiON and NiMH batteries. Some don't want to know this tidbit.

Hope it helps,

Collapse -
Re: Need feedback on Acer Aspire 1522LMi-XPP
by mayurbs16 / November 16, 2004 1:23 AM PST

thanks for the promt reply.....

but i still need to know about the quality of the laptop and customer service of Acer....

so i want to know about the performance of the laptop in the hardware, i've seen posts by people that have a problem with the HD with Acer Laptops, so does this model have any shortcomings or hidden issues with the hardware......

I was not able to find any reviews about this particular model....and nobody that i know owns a Acer laptop.....

i'm a first timer at buying a laptop so i'm just a little more scared.....

Collapse -
Acer customer service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 1:41 AM PST

I own an Acer ter600. Its CDRW did fail in week 11 and the customer service was great for me. I was able to walk through their steps and mine and they offered to send me a replacement CDRW drive. That was less downtime than shipping the entire unit. A few small screws and I had the new drive installed.

SOME might not like such an option, but for me the service was excellent.

"so i want to know about the performance of the laptop in the hardware, i've seen posts by people that have a problem with the HD with Acer Laptops, so does this model have any shortcomings or hidden issues with the hardware......"

You'll have to find one and run benchmarks, but in all my years I find that similarly equipped laptops perform much the same as each other. All laptops have shortcomings and hidden issues. But most of these items don't show for years since it's more of the issue like the battery that many are surprised when they find out they don't last many years and then how much they cost to replace.

If you are scared, why not go with a model your friends have?

In fact, read this forum and see the HP DV1000 and similar models that are quite nice too. Why this model?

Collapse -
Re: Acer customer service.
by KenSanramon / November 16, 2004 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Acer customer service.

If the Acer model has an 8 cell battery for a Pentium M Centrino you should be fine (3.5-5 hours battery life depending on function).

If it is a 4 cell battery than you have lost 1/2 your battery life as they have cut the battery capacity in half. I saw this on some lower end Acer notebooks and one of these had an option to go to the 8 cell battery for more $.

Do not get less than an 8 cell battery (Lithium Ion) for a Pentium M Centrino. Note that a Pentium 4M has a 12 cell battery has that chip runs so hot so you to compare battery capacity for the chip family you are considering.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?