HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

need faster shutter trip time for action photos

by rixanne / September 26, 2004 7:51 AM PDT

Hello. can anyone recommend a digital camera, 3+megapixels, that has a very fast shutter release time? I shoot performances and sports and the time between pressing the button and the actual release is too long for action.

I have the Nikon Coolpic 5700 now, and it's VERY slow. What do photo journalists and sports photographers use?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need faster shutter trip time for action photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need faster shutter trip time for action photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: need faster shutter trip time for action photos
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 10:26 AM PDT

I have the Kodak 6490 and its burst mode is great for that. Read a review on the 7440 to see what it does.

Bob

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 10:37 AM PDT

Kodak specifies a click to capture time of 0.2 seconds for their DX-7400 camera.

This is very fast by digital (consumer cameras) standards.

"What do photo journalist and sports photographers use?"

Usually it is a Nikon or Canon DSL (film or digital).
Price range $4,000 and up.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Correction - DX-7440
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 10:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not so, local TV showed interviewed a sports photographer
by Kiddpeat / September 26, 2004 12:03 PM PDT

who was using a Nikon D70, and was quite pleased with it. It shoots 3 frames per second up to 144 pictures. $1,300 at Bestbuy with a lense. It is an SLR, so other lenses can be used. That may be where the price begins increasing fairly rapidly. It depends on how good you want the lens to be.

The Canon Digital Rebel can shoot a 'continuous' 2.5 frames per second and sells for under $1,000. The new Canon 20D can shoot 5 frames per second up to 23 consecutive frames. It has a startup time of .2 seconds. The D20 goes for about $1,400 with a lense. Again, lenses can get expensive fast.

Collapse -
Re: Not so, local TV showed interviewed a sports photographe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 8:16 PM PDT

You just made my day! That 300 buck 6490 is doing around 2 frames per second and I get to save money.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) at what resolution and pixel size? 6-8 megs?
by Kiddpeat / September 27, 2004 3:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) at what resolution and pixel size? 6-8 megs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

Mine is a Kodak 6490. I'll leave it to you to look up the specs, but I stole it for 300 bucks refurb with dock at compgeeks.com It's without a scratch and all the caps, straps and more were in the Kodak box. Kodak did the refurb.

The 7440 is a good idea too since the first shot off is in the neighborhood of 0.2 seconds.

Bob

Collapse -
Ummm, its 4 megs, and the burst is up to 6 pictures.
by Kiddpeat / September 28, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

I think my money would stay on the Nikon or the Canon.

Collapse -
How much?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2004 11:44 AM PDT

I parted with 300 US clams and am a shooting fool.

How much for that other unit?

Bob

Collapse -
One thing I've learned. You can't economize on the
by Kiddpeat / October 1, 2004 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: How much?

camera. If you do, you'll waste the opportunity to get good photos. You've got to have a top notch camera if you want top notch pictures.

There's a whole lot more to a camera and its lense than how fast it will shoot. It must shoot fast AND take high quality pictures.

The 20D is, as I recall, about $1,500 with a general purpose lense, but the lense adds about $100 to the price. The review I saw said the lense does surprisingly well. High quality lenses can cost as much as the camera.

What they say is true in this case. You get what you pay for.

Collapse -
Here are the specs.
by Kiddpeat / October 1, 2004 12:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
by andyz / September 28, 2004 12:15 AM PDT

A digital SLR will be faster. With a sports burst mode you'll have to decide the frames per second that will best meet your needs as they vary from camera to camera. Burst allows you to start snapping when the action starts and stop when it is done. This is great for football plays. But you may go from 3 to 8 FPS and that is a big difference. It is head and shoulders above trying to snap that one shot you want.

Many point and shoots do not have a sports mode for a burst. Short of that I learned with my Canon A80 to press the shutter release button half way down to lock the shot and improve the picture. But you really have to be somewhat predictive to get the action you want. So look for that burst mode feature.

Collapse -
by rixanne / September 28, 2004 3:21 AM PDT

Hey, this list is great. thanks for the input on faster "click to capture" times. I'll look into the Kodaks, even tho I am a Canon fan. Anyone know a Canon with .2 sec click to capture? I do have an older SLR that is quite fast, but heavy. I'm looking for a digital that will do the job in low-light and/or fast action.

I'll also try the burst or multi-frame mode on the Nikon 5700 a bit more, that could solve the problem (if the darn thing will focus).

thanks,
Rixanne

Collapse -
Yes, it looks like the new Canon 20D can do better than
by Kiddpeat / September 28, 2004 11:37 AM PDT

.2 seconds (I just read a review today in PC Mag: 5.4 frames per second in burst mode), and works in very low light levels. Again, the issue is camera plus lens cost.

Collapse -
by rmcdaniel21 / September 30, 2004 9:40 PM PDT

I use the cannon powershot pro1 digital camera. It takes wonderful pictures in almost any mode. I have pictures posted of the McConnel Air base Air show in Wichita, Ks. on webshots. Here is the url to veiw the photos http://community.webshots.com/user/rmcdaniel21.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.