HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Need everyone's help to choose my camera!

by Luggnutt99 / October 6, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I need a camera to take pictures fast, taking pictures one after another of different objects, maybe 15-30 quick pictures in a row in quick succesion. I don't need any zoom and I'll be in a dusty enviroment... so I think a zoom may attract dust and jam up.

Flash will be needed in each photo.

Thanks to everyone that can help with their input! I've seen a lot of great posts on this forum.

Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need everyone's help to choose my camera!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need everyone's help to choose my camera!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not enough info
by PistonCupChampion / October 6, 2010 1:26 AM PDT

How fast exactly?

Without more info, what I can say is that flash will be the biggest problem. Many cameras can shoot very quickly, up to 10 shots per second, but only without flash. Flash needs time to recharge. What kind of environment is it specifically? What is your budget?

Collapse -
Looking at a small budget, maybe $100 - $150 or less
by Luggnutt99 / October 6, 2010 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Not enough info

Mostly need to take pictures at a construction site, quickly. it is so painful waiting for a camera to take the next picture. I think 10 in a second is a little overkill, since I need to point it a different direction and take a picture of a different wall/objects like I said in my first post. There are times however, when I will not need the flash, and the ability to take pictures quickly will be good. Also keep in mind the construction site is dusty, and high likelihood the camera will be hit/broken and I'll need to replace it, so I need to keep the price-point low. Also as far as the zoom goes, I had a camera in the past that would not turn on anymore because the zoom lens would not move due to dust in the mechanism, so if there was a camera that would have no mechanical zoom, that would be good. The quality/size of the pictures does not need to be that great(probably under 3mp), and I'll need to take/store around 1000 pictures per day.
Hope this helps.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Rugged Cameras
by PistonCupChampion / October 6, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

You might want to look at a ruggedized camera. Most are above your budget, but the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 is closest, at about $150-$175. It, along with most ruggedized cameras, uses an internal zoom lens. It is also weatherized and shock resistant. It is a slow camera according to reviews, but it (like most cameras), is very fast if you prefocus (hold the shutter button down half-way to acquire focus before taking the shot).

Collapse -
Speed is more important than ruggedness
by Luggnutt99 / October 6, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Rugged Cameras

I'm not so worried about buying a replacement camera as long as it's in my range. I can't see paying more for a camera that's slower, when speed is my primary concern. do you know of the fastest speed for the money camera in the price range I mentioned?

thanks!

Collapse -
Two measures of performance
by PistonCupChampion / October 6, 2010 5:10 AM PDT

One is shutter lag, the time it takes for a camera to focus and take the shot, once you have pressed the shutter button. The other is shot-to-shot.

For less than $150, you are talking about the least expensive point and shoot cameras. They are all relatively slow, shot-to-shot, takings a few seconds between photos. Better point and shoots might be twice as fast. Only DSRL's are quick shot-to-shot, at less than 1/2 a second.

You get what you pay for.

Collapse -
Take/Store 1000 pictures per day.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 9:13 AM PDT

I don't know of any small camera that can take 1000 pictures a day on one battery charge.
If you don't plan to have extra batteries available you need to come up with Plan B.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.