Cameras forum

General discussion

Need digital camera with outstanding video qualities

by ag5t / December 13, 2006 5:31 AM PST

I am the webmaster for the city health department. We want to add videos to our web sites such as short training videos. I can place wmv and other video format files on our Intranet, but we need a digital camera (or other camera) that has outstanding video qualities. I saw that one of the Canon digital cameras can produce video up to 60 minutes. While we may not need 1 hour of video, we might piece together short videos. I'd like to know if it's better to get a camcorder instead or if a good digital camera with a tripod will be okay. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Are there specific qualities to look for when checking out video specs on a digital camera? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need digital camera with outstanding video qualities
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need digital camera with outstanding video qualities
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you want good video, you need, at the very least, a
by Kiddpeat / December 13, 2006 6:51 AM PST

decent video camera. Still cameras simply do not have the capability to produce good video.

For starters, you might wish to consider the audio that really makes any video.

Collapse -
Canon S3 IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 9:00 AM PST

The Canon S3 IS produces the best videos of all the digital cameras, in my opinion.
It even has stereo sound.

Digital camcorders do better - especially in low light situations.

But...it is much easier to transfer a video file from a digital camera than downloading it from a camcorder.

Visit a camera store and try out the video on the Canon S3 IS.
I think you will find that it provides what you are wanting.

Collapse -
outstanding video capabilities
by hjfok / December 13, 2006 10:46 AM PST

I agree with kiddpeat. If you need outstanding video qualities, then you need a video camcorder. For the compact digital camera, Sony DSC M2 has one of the best video with sound. But this is not comparable to even an average SD video camcorder. If you really need good video and can accept average quality photos, then consider a video camcorder that can take decent photos.
I have the Sony HDR HC3 camcorder that takes superb HD video and decent 4 MP photos. The photos are actually quite decent, about average compared to a compact digital camera (but without manual or other more advanced controls). This is usually more than enough for web postings. The video can be downsized easily to publish to web. Sony now has options of recording video to hard drive, DVD or miniDV. Mini DV probably has the best quality but the hard drive probably is most convenient if you do a lot of web postings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.