Laptops forum

General discussion

Need desknote, but what?

by -uz / December 5, 2011 8:14 AM PST

I'm looking to make an investment in a widely capable desknote. I'm willing to drop a few G's, and make a custom order or whatever. I just need to know what to get. I don't have anything of my own now, so I don't want to take forever choosing.

Which predesigned models are good? Prefer biggest screen, best performance, design, being able to plug in my original Xbox losslessly over an a/v-out to HDMI-in adapter or something, and the ability to screencast without loss of performance (screencasting card?), including a/v input, if possible.

Or who's good to custom order from? Things like dead pixel warranties and lifetime labour sound good.

Also prefer quality; this would be an investment, and I'd like it to last. As well as forward compatibility, to the extent possible-FPS's for the foreseeable future?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need desknote, but what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need desknote, but what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You had me till I hit that XBOX input.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 12:02 PM PST
Collapse -
Sure about that?
by -uz / December 6, 2011 8:22 AM PST

Two examples of notebooks with HDMI-in ports: Alienware 18x, Origin Eon18 (discontinued). I also saw what happened here: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19684_102-406788.html. Also, can I get a better link than that? I don't see model or product class anywhere.

Collapse -
Good to see you found your laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Sure about that?

Since there are 2 models that do what you want without adding boxes, why not buy them?
Bob

Collapse -
I was already aware of them.
by -uz / December 6, 2011 10:45 PM PST

There are others, but the main reasons are that one's distasteful and the other is discontinued. I'd also like a bigger screen, if that's possible. Any shops where I can get that?

Collapse -
So far no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 1:55 AM PST

I've only seen such things at trade shows where they are trying to sell it to retailers. So far, not a big enough market.
Bob

Collapse -
Same thing you said about HDMI-in.
by -uz / December 7, 2011 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: So far no.

Like I said, I'm ready to make a custom order.

(See below.)

Collapse -
What you found is what I found.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 8:50 AM PST

These are rare and you have found all I have heard of.

However I would never give anyone a thumbs up on built-in HDMI input given that how treacherous this is. Plus the gamers would be pi__ed off about the LAG.

If we move the HDMI input to BLACK MAGIC then we can look for laptops with USB 3.0 but still have the gamers upset.
Bob

Collapse -
What you know is what you know.
by -uz / December 7, 2011 9:07 AM PST

I still don't see any explanation in your text; is it me?

Collapse -
What part needs explaining.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 9:14 AM PST

1. There are so few HDMI input laptops that you and I have listed most of them.

2. There's a big issue of LAG for gamers that would have them PI__ED OFF!

3. If we move that to BLACK MAGIC's solution we can look around.

Bob

Collapse -
The explanation part. You've said all that before.
by -uz / December 7, 2011 10:19 AM PST
Collapse -
1. You order from those that have what you want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 12:24 AM PST

2. At the shows I saw lag. If you think there is no lag in the model, this will not be an issue.

3. I think the solution is the external HDMI capture but only if this is for non-GAMING use.
Bob

Collapse -
The models with HDMI in are so rare and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Sure about that?

So far no one seems to be buying that my thought here is if you want it, try and get it. But as HDMI has all that nasty HDCP I'd stick with Black Magic today so you can replace it when HDCP stops your HDMI input from working.

Definitely will open the door to hundreds of models rather than the 3 or 4 found so far that are rare.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure what you mean about HDCP, replacement, but
by -uz / December 6, 2011 11:07 PM PST

In any case you seem to say that the device you linked me to would give perfect capture, but not display. Where would it connect to the rig anyway, if not an HDMI in; USB? Or what's it called?

Collapse -
I think Black Magic should answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 1:53 AM PST

Their boxes do have HDMI in or capture. The problem as I see it is you might think you could play a video game using the laptop's display.

And there's a problem waiting to be discovered. Since I only see these at shows I can offer that the lag would have gamers P.O.'d
Bob

Collapse -
What's "that"?
by -uz / December 7, 2011 8:59 AM PST

I was referring to the port on the notebook in would input into. Couldn't I do just that? Lag from what? The console outputs the data through a cable to a television set the same way.

All due respect, but you haven't answered a single question I've asked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!