Question

Need camera to capture small detail

I need a digital camera to take pictures of small parts on a table, for example take a detal photo of a small coin, stamp, or something that size.
Camera should be small so I can put it on one of those small flexible tripods, and shouldn't cost a ton either. Any suggestions? I also want manual modes and AV, TV, the more customizable settings the better.
I'm a long time Canon fanboy but it can be anything really.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need camera to capture small detail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need camera to capture small detail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
What do you own today?

Once in a while you find folk with cameras that will get the job done once they set up the table top light box.

Some folk didn't know about the light box and look for a new camera instead.
Bob

- Collapse -
Don't own a camera at the moment

I actually don't have a digital camera anymore other than on my phone. I want a camera and this is what I'll need to be using it for 90% of the time (for gradschool research) so I was just wondering what camera is small and comes with a good lens capable of getting up close to the subject being photographed.

- Collapse -
Did you try what you have with a light box?
- Collapse -
It's about practicality

I know how to light my scene and even so I can expose for 5 seconds or however long it takes. I'll be using a small tripod regardless (google Gorillapod)

I just want it to be really convenient to use and small to have around the lab so that when I pop out a sample I can photograph it quickly and easily.

- Collapse -
Nod. I'm using a bridge camera for such work.

Small, easy to work with, wasn't as expensive as a DSLR.
Bob

- Collapse -
Panasonic ZS15; Canon S100

These are probably about as small as you will find that have PASM modes. The Panasonic is a 'travel zoom' camera with a 16x 24-384mm equivalent lens. The Canon is a higher-end compact with a slightly larger imaging sensor, a wider aperture lens (f/2.0-5.9), and a 28-105mm equivalent lens.

CNET Forums