Cameras forum

General discussion

Need Camera/Software for Taking Numerous Photos of Retail Clothes

by ESPartee / February 23, 2004 11:32 AM PST

I need to set up a permenant camera and lights in the back area of a retail store to photograph new clothing arrivals. The idea is to take pictures of store models and/or mannequins wearing hot new clothes. Then we would email the images to potential customers. We would sometimes do it for customers to send to there spouse or friend for comment on which they like better. This application requires real ease of transfer from camera to PC.

The typical Webcam does not have the quality we are looking for, but the digital cameras I have used are too many steps to get the image to the PC. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Camera/Software for Taking Numerous Photos of Retail Clothes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Camera/Software for Taking Numerous Photos of Retail Clothes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need Camera/Software for Taking Numerous Photos of Retail Clothes
by oleman / February 23, 2004 3:45 PM PST

I plug the usb cable of my Nikon Coolpix into the PC and
another drive pops up in 'My Computer' window. A couple
of clicks to the image folder and drag it to the desktop.
Maybe you need to check a digicam w/ usb connection.

In addition, are you sure your 'potential customers' want
to receive these; sounds like spam to me. At least make
sure you downsize the pics; at least <50k.

Collapse -
Re:Need Camera/Software for Taking Numerous Photos of Retail Clothes
by pfeffer3 / February 23, 2004 10:06 PM PST

Go to these sites for camera information:

Camera Reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

Purchase a camera that has a removable storage card (flash cards). These cards serve the same funcition as a roll of film for film cameras.

Either have a front loading PCMCIA slot on your computer or purchase a new desktop that already has several of these slots built into the computer. Most laptops come with the slots already installed.

Then remove the flash card from the camera and insert into the slot on the computer, and all photos on that card will open for instant viewing.

Collapse -
Sony Mavica FD-200
by snapshot / February 23, 2004 11:25 PM PST

There is one camera that is just made for your application.

Sony Mavica FD-200

It records the picture to a floppy disk, that you can then remove and insert into the floppy drive on your computer.

Many doctors are using this camera. A new patient can have their photo attached to their records in a matter of minutes.

Collapse -
Re:Sony Mavica FD-200 = What's a floppy?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Sony Mavica FD-200

For over a year, diskette drives are not installed in the office. Big savings as we don't have to maintain that piece. An USB Diskette drive is checked out about once a week.

Bob

Collapse -
Floppies Becoming Obsolete
by pfeffer3 / February 24, 2004 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Mavica FD-200

Some newer computers no longer come with floppy drives, and trend it to do away with them completely.

Collapse -
Re:Floppies Becoming Obsolete
by ESPartee / February 24, 2004 10:23 AM PST

It seems the best option is find a camera that has a permenant USB (2.0 would be great) connection to the PC so that images could be available on the PC ASAP. The photos are going to be ad hoc and not continuous, so the swaping of memory chips or disk media for each couple of pictures isn't as optimum as real-time transfer.

Perhaps there are cameras made for this mode? Perhaps a better quality version of the ones at DMV for drivers licenses?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!