Cameras forum

General discussion

Need camera recommendations for camera dummy mom!

by sassypea / October 31, 2009 10:54 PM PDT

Hi I am pretty much a dummy when it comes to digital cameras so hope I can explain what I am looking for....I have a toddler and the Kodak camera I have now takes pictures too slow and I am often missing her cute moments. I want a camera that will allow me to take pictures in a quicker fashion...I think this is called the shutter speed but am not sure. I also of course want decent quality and clarity to the pictures. I am willing to spend upwards of about $250 for a good quality camera. I of course would like one that is not overly bulky but more important is how quickly it can take the pictures and the quality of those pictures.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need camera recommendations for camera dummy mom!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need camera recommendations for camera dummy mom!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

I don't know of a camera that will do what you want, in that price range.

If you are taking flash pictures; all digital cameras take about 2.5 seconds between pictures. Most of that time is to recharge the flash.

If you are taking pictures in low light (no flash); the camera must use a slow shutter speed in order to collect enough light to produce a proper exposure. This also requires that the camera be held steady to prevent blurring. And the subject must be motionless.

The only solution is to use flood lights to illuminate the subject.
That is the way, the professionals get those great shots.

Collapse -
by sassypea / November 1, 2009 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Camera

Ok well thank you for giving me some input...truly appreciated. So basically any of the digital cameras out there are going to do the same thing? Any recommendations for a good one for me? Otherwise I am just looking for a sale one.

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: thanks...

Right ... If you spend between $350 and $500, you will get better picture quality in low light and some improvement in shutter speed in low light. Recycle time for flash still remains about 2.5 seconds.

Cameras to look at in that price range:
Fujifilm F200, Canon S90, Canon G11 and Panasonic LX3

Some tips for flash:
Before using the camera for a series of photos, charge the battery.
A fresh battery will recycle the flash faster.
Just before taking the first flash shot, waste a picture just to charge up the flash. Just take one flash photo of anything nearby.

If you are going to shoot with available light (no flash), turn on every light in the room. If it is daytime, open window curtains and/or blinds. You want as much light as possible.

If you are shooting indoors without flash, concentrate on holding the camera very steady. If possible, set the camera on a solid surface.

If you are looking for a camera in the $250 price range, start by looking at any of the Canon SD series of cameras. They all have image stabilization and a very sharp lens.

Collapse -
thanks again
by sassypea / November 1, 2009 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Camera

Once again thanks so much!! At least now I wont feel like there is just something wrong with my camera. I will check out the ones you suggested. Thanks!

Collapse -
Are you talking about lag time..?
by bonitabarb / November 2, 2009 9:30 AM PST

I was wondering if instead of recycling time, you are talking about the lag time? I call it...the time between when you press the shutter and when the camera actually takes a picture. I know with kids...they have this cute expression or are doing something fun, you press the shutter, and by the time a point and shoot camera actually takes the picture...they are gone. I know an DSLR camera is better for capturing photos of children on the move...they pretty much take a picture when you press the shutter; they behave more like film cameras do. But they are more expensive than what you have budgeted. The Nikon D40 is a nice little DSLR camera, but it costs more than $250. I am not sure if that is what you were asking about...the lag time.

Collapse -
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / November 2, 2009 9:54 AM PST

There are numerous point and shoots that have a shorter "lag time" than the D40. The difference is only 1/10ths of sec and probably won't notice, but they have improved a lot in that area.

Collapse -
Lag time
by sassypea / November 2, 2009 2:17 PM PST
In reply to: Actually

Ok so please tell me what are your recommendations?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?