Cameras forum

General discussion

Need camera and need help

by mamajenn / June 11, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

I have been researching cameras since my Kodak LS443 quit working. Takes picture but only black on screen and when I download the picture. I figure that it will be better to toss than to get it fixed with the prices of cameras falling. Enough on the ole camera.

I am really confused and need your expert advice.

I basically take pictures of family, my grandson mainly and he has big blue eyes and of course big red eye with the Kodak. With all my research this time, I have realized that I need more optical zoom instead of digital zoom, hot shoe or external flash to help prevent red eye, timer, jpeg format and of course a stabilizer. Now my question, which camera is the best. I have spent days researching but I do not understand all the numbers on the compare sheets. I have figured out that Max and low resolution = pixels, but image ratio, ISO rating, zoom (w) should it be 28, 35 or 38, image stabilization do you want it to be lens or CCD? All of this is like Greek and I have not been able to find a site on line that explains any of these numbers. HELP! I know they must be important for them to be listed. Please help as I really want to buy a new camera soon. Also which on line store is the best? Also I do have a Lexar SD memory card, a Smart Media memory card and of course the printing dock with the Kodak so if I could use any of these accessories would be a plus but not imparative. I would like to stay below $500.00 if possible and I would like to have at least 4 pixels but from what I have read, the optical zoom is the most important if you have a stabilizer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need camera and need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need camera and need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

Since you are interested in Image Stabilization I assume you are looking for a camera with a 10X/12X optical zoom.

Image Stabilitzation is not really necessary of cameras with smaller optical zooms.

So...I can only find 4 cameras that have Image Stabilization, hot shoe and cost less than $500:

Konica Minolta - Z3 and Z5
Panasonic FZ-4 and FZ-5

Here is link to a side by side view of specifications:

http://tinyurl.com/9962a

Image ratio:
most digital cameras have an image ratio of 4:3
most DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras and 35 mm film cameras have an image ration of 3:2
This is the ratio between the lengths of the horizontal and vertical measurements of the photo it produces.
The standard television set has a ratio of 4:3

ISO rating:
Most common is 50, 100, 200, 400
Notice that each number is double the preceeding number.
A setting of 100 will make the sensor twice as sensitive to light as a setting of 50. etc, etc,

Focal Length:
The non-zoom focal length of the lens.
The lower the number (i.e. 28mm) the wider the angle of what is captured.
If you are in a small room and want to include a large group of people in the photo, a wider angle is better.

Stabilization lens or CCD:
Each has its advantage and disadvantage (and cost).
Makes little difference to the photographer.

Here is a link to a good explaination of exposure, which includes shutter speed, aperture (f-stop), ISO, and Depth of Field. This information is important to anyone who is using the manual controls of a camera.

http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/the_basics

Here is an on-line short course in digital photography:

http://www.shortcourses.com/using/index.htm

Collapse -
Snapshot2
by mamajenn / June 12, 2005 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Cameras

Thank you for your response to my question. As you know, the internet is a haven of information but sometimes it takes help to filter through all the unrelated information to get to what you need. Thanks again for your help as well as links listed. How did you show a link in the response in case I might have information that would be beneficial to someone? My last and final THANKS! Jen

Collapse -
Posting a Link
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Snapshot2

Just go to the site of the link.

Highlight the address in the Address field at the top of the screen.

Hold down the Ctrl Key and press C.
...that copies the address to the clipboard.

Go to the Cnet Digital Cameras forum and start a new subject.

Click in the Message body of the new subject.

Hold down the Ctrl key and press V.
...that places the contents of the clipboard in the Message Body.

Collapse -
Best camera with hot shoe or external flash?
by mamajenn / June 12, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

This is Jen again. I did not mean to imply that I only wanted a 10 to 12x zoom; however, I quess it would be nice. I really want to eliminate the red eye that I was getting with my Kodak LS443 and from my research, I realized that I needed a hot shoe or external flash capability. I can go alittle higher in cost. So what is the best camera overall with the external flash or hot shoe, zoom capability for taking pictures of the eagles soaring over the lake or perched in a tree? Thanks again Jen

Collapse -
Hot Shoe
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 11:49 PM PDT

If you want to take photos of eagles in a tree,
you do need a camera with a 10X/12X lens.

There are a few good choices:

Panasonic FZ20
Konica Minolta Z3 or Z5

They all have hot shoe and image stabilization.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good post, thanks!
by jonah jones / June 12, 2005 10:01 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?