TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need buying advice

I am planning on purchasing a new TV in the next 4-6 weeks. I am looking for buying advice.

The room it will go in is 13' x 18'. It is a daylight basement and has 2 windows in the back-right corner (one on each side of the corner). It is a fairly bright room during the day, but we have wood blinds that block out quite a bit of light.

We will be watching sports (football), movies (standard DVD player currently, will look into Blu-Ray for the future), and various TV shows (CSI, Law & Order, etc).

I am looking at a couple sets that Costco carries. They have a Samsung 67" 1080p DLP (HL67A510C) with a stand. For the same price, they also have a Toshiba 52" 1080p LCD (don't know the model number).

Are these sets good options? Since I have the room, does it make more sense to get the 67" DLP over the 52" LCD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need buying advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need buying advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TV Options

In reply to: Need buying advice

I have purchased a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD TV. This was an excellent buy. I got it at Costco. The other TVs you are looking at are both nice but make sure you look in to the video options (1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p or 480i)because if your TV accepts 1080p than that is the highest quality of video you can watch. You should also look in to the contrast capability. My Sharp Aquos has a 10000:1 Contrast ration which is really good. I recommend LCD TVs, they definately have the greatest quality. I do not recomend DLP though. The picture quality of LCDs or Plasmas just seem much sharper. I hope this helps!

Collapse -
I know DLP is not a favorite for many posters here.

In reply to: Need buying advice

I have an earlier Samsung DLP & it has served me just fine. I am just now ordering a replacement bulb at 4 years now. ($185)

I've gotta say when the luxury of really large is available, larger is always tempting. The first respondent said he recommends going with LCDs. Well, that is opinion & one can not be accepted by others at face value. LCDs serve me well for computer & small secondary TV set, but I would not want a large one to be my primary set. The way I see it from my amateur experience is highest picture satisfaction from good plasmas like the premium priced Pioneer & the good quality & fine value Panasonic.

I prefer viewing the picture of DLP also over large screen LCD.

Sure, there are arguments & concerns about lots of issues (most of which turn out to be non-issues for most of us. Serious gamers are sure to highly regard the fastest refresh responses.

Blu-Ray will be great for the greater mass of us in a couple of years when player prices come down to be much more affordable.

I also always have to back up Costco as a fine place to buy from.

Enjoy. You're not going to go wrong in any choice, really. Find the one to please you.

Collapse -
For your eyes only

In reply to: I know DLP is not a favorite for many posters here.

As Bill said. The problem I (as in me) have with projection is the narrow viewing angles. They have a sweet spot, and if you're not in it, then it's no fun watching.
For me and my eyes, I like plasma. But I do have an LCD in the bedroom i'm quite happy with. Shop shop shop.

Collapse -
Once again I must say DLP viewing angle is NOT an issue for

In reply to: For your eyes only

me because I don't watch from farther than 45 degrees off center. In fact watching any TV from more than 45% off center is very much a second class experience. Thusly, this is yet another item sometimes taken very seriously &/or argued about, but a non-issue for me and many others.

Still, my favorite TV viewing idea would be a Pioneer Kuro. Anyone curious should check out that experience. The Pioneer plasmas are terrific.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.