Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Need broadband without a landline.

I'm a contractor moving to a different location every 6 months or so. I want to use my cell phone (NET10) and not rent a land line phone. How do I get DSL (Broadband) service without a line? Will cable companies sell TV/Internet service or is this a dumb idea. I have a desktop computer which I can buy a wireless card for but what does it connect to? Any suggestions.

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need broadband without a landline.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need broadband without a landline.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's called NAKED DSL.

In reply to: Need broadband without a landline.

Some companies offer it, some don't.

Collapse -
Links about.

In reply to: That's called NAKED DSL.

Mind you that it's up to those that sell such to offer it in the market or not.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NAKED+DSL

That finds the skivvy on this as well as for cable. As to your cell phone that's called a 'data plan.'
Bob

Collapse -
Uh, nope . . .

In reply to: That's called NAKED DSL.

He has no land line. No cable pair. Naked DSL needs a cable pair.

Collapse -
Just offering ideas.

In reply to: Uh, nope . . .

The FCC didn't demand that such be offered. Naked services is all up to where you are and their choice on the matter.

It's a shame they don't want something normal. 3G, data plans cost a lot more.
Bob

Collapse -
How do I get DSL (Broadband) service without a line?

You don't.

Cable sells all the bells and whistles. You could use that if they are in the area you are going to. Not likely everywhere.

Satellite is what you're looking for. You can get TV and internet. Pricey but it'll work. Just carry the antenna and modem to your next location.

Collapse -
DSL without land line

In reply to: How do I get DSL (Broadband) service without a line?

For <a href="http://www.dslone.net">dsl</a> go to http://www.dslone.net I believe they offer this service or you can compare Internet providers that do. I was wondering the same thing if you can get this internet service? I don't have a land line either and was looking for dsl. Who offers dsl without phone and what is it?

Collapse -
It is called Dark DSL or no phone line DSL

Ever major telco provides this service, just call them and ask for the service, they do not advertise this service as they want you to have both phone line and internet.

Collapse -
Tether your Phone??

Is Net10 a phone manufacturer or the wirless carrier?? With a lot of the smart phones you can use your phone as a broadband modem. I did this a lot with my Verizon Palm. You would have to have the data plan though.

Collapse -
wireless air card is a solution

In reply to: Tether your Phone??

you would have to sign a 2 year contract. Even if you got hughesnet sat internet, which is rotten and worthless.

I ended up getting a sprint aircard that plugs in my usb port on my laptop. $60.00 a mo. cheaper than hughesnet at $86.00 a month and is faster, more reliable, and connects to everything. hughes either blocks sites on purpose or its sat feed is so bad some people cant even see ebay pages...

I have a 2 yr hughesnet contract...working on getting it removed right now.

I am rural and no cable or dsl is available out here. its either wildblue...extremely slow and expensive or hughesnet..faster, but many sites arent acesssible.. air card from cell phone company is lots better!!!

Collapse -
Rent an aircard too.

In reply to: wireless air card is a solution

And if you don't want to be bound into the 2 year contract, consider renting one from a company such as Rovair http://www.rovair.com. Essentially they have purchased aircards from both Sprint and Verizon and offter to rent them on a short-term basis.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.