Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need Backup Utility

by jainagray / January 1, 2009 3:51 AM PST

Hi,

Anybody know of any free (not free trial) back up software? All I want to do is backup my mp3 files that are scattered across many folders. I need software that will find and back up all my mp3s only. I have other software for backing up the whole pc, etc., but it's folder oriented and won't let me just pick out a specific file type across folders.

TIA

Jainagray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Backup Utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Backup Utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I would do:
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Need Backup Utility

xcopy c:\*.mp3 x:\mymp3s /s /m from the command prompt

Here x is the drive letter of the external hard disk I'd backup to. All my mp3's would be copied to a corresponding subfolder of the mymp3s-folder on that drive.

Kees

Collapse -
There are no free rides for this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 3:59 AM PST

But there could be if you took some time to start unscattering your collection. Here I took the time over the years to keep it organized. So with the freebie called SYNCBACK I can schedule a backup to our secure FTP server anytime I feel like it.

The pay version of Syncback will however do what you asked.

And with some programming on your part, ROBOCOPY can do this.
Bob

Collapse -
SyncBack SE
by jainagray / January 2, 2009 12:12 AM PST

Hi,

I'm using SyncBack SE Version 4, I believe. I'll take a second look, but I done see a way to specify anything lower than at the folder level. Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Jaina

Collapse -
XCopy
by FrankQC / January 1, 2009 10:09 AM PST

I wrote a small how-to before on how to create an xcopy batchfile.

Here it is:

Okay, so you say you just bought an external hard drive for backup purposes and you do not want to manually drag new songs you just got, or new documents you just wrote. An easy way to do this by double clicking what is known as a batchfile (extension is .bat). What this will do is automatically update any file that changed. A batchfile derives from Notepad. You write the commands in the notepad then you: Save As >> [name].bat Then save.

You will need to use xcopy commands, as follows:

@echo off

xcopy "C:\Users\*.*" "G:\BackupComputer\Users\*.*" /D /V /I /S /Y

pause

Okay. This is what a batchfile looks like. At the top you see "@echo off". What this means is that there's not going to be any message at the top of the command promp (cmd). If I were to write '@echo Backup', then when you start the batchfile you will see the title of Backup at the top. I use '@echo off' because it makes the batchfile look cleaner (less writing).
You have to write xcopy because it is telling the batchfile how to work, it's telling the notepad that it will be used as a batchfile and it allows for the commands at the end of the line to be recognized "/D /V /I /S /Y" which will be mentioned later. Batchfiles aren't only for backing up, you can use them for other reasons. So if you use xcopy it tells the batchfile that it's a backup batchfile.

Make sure to use quotes ("") in each file location line so the batchfile knows it's all together. The first line after xcopy is the file that will be retrieved. In this example, I used "C:\Users\*.*\" This means that the batchfile will send those files to the second command we wrote, which in the example is "G:\BackupComputer\Users\*.*" So in basic terms, the files in my C: Users will all be sent to the external hard drive. You do not need to go in your hard drive to create files. Since our second command has BackupComputer in it, it will automatically create that folder for you. It will also create the subfolder of Users

Some of you might be wondering what "*.*" means. An asterik (*) basically means 'all/everything'. So if we use *.* at the end, it means that All files of All extensions will be added. If you only want music to be transfered, you simply do *.mp3 (or whatever file format you have) at the end, this will put All files with .mp3 as a file extension.

Now for the slightly more complex part. The ''/D /V /I /S /Y'' commands all have a purpose. If you want to know what these letters mean, go in your MS DOS screen (cmd) and write 'xcopy /?' This will show you all of the commands and what they do. You can add as many as you want but some are more important than others. You decide upon your personal preferences. If you want to have a normal backup batchfile, then just write ''/D /V /I /S /Y'' at the end and it will do what is normal, such as creating a time stamp and deleting the old timestamps (replacing old timestamps to new timestamps). So if you add a word to a document and click on the batchfile, it will add that word on the back up version.

At the end of the batchfile, you have 'pause'. You do not need to have that in for the batchfile to work but it's recommended that you do. Reasons why you should have that is because it allows you to know if your batchfile is complete. By having 'pause' at the end you will have a message saying ''press any key...'', letting you know it's done. If you do not have 'pause' at the end it will automatically close once finishing.

I hope this helped. It will save your time and effort once you get it to work. Don't forget, in the example I used G: because it's my default for my external hard drive. You need to put your hard drive root in the command so it access your external hard drive. If your external hard drive is in root F:, then you have to place the G: to F: (You find the root by looking in My Computer.)

Now you can double click your batchfile and go away from your computer and just let the batchfile do the working.

If you have any questions.. ask Happy

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jainagray / January 2, 2009 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: XCopy

Thanks so much. I will definitely try this.

Collapse -
Works Across Multiple CDs?
by jainagray / January 2, 2009 12:17 AM PST

Hi, Frank

Will this work if the backup needs more than one CD?

Regards,

Jaina

Collapse -
Unsure
by FrankQC / January 2, 2009 12:21 AM PST

My how-to was tested for external hard drives (usb). You put the root letter which corresponds to the USB.

In your situation, you would need to get a CD/DVD burning software to burn your information to the CD/DVDs.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jainagray / January 2, 2009 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Unsure

Thanks so much for the help.

Regards,

Jaina

Collapse -
Found some info
by FrankQC / January 2, 2009 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Again!
by jainagray / January 2, 2009 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Found some info

Hi, Frank:

It sure looks like one of these will work. So my precious Rolling Stones MP3 collection will soon be safe! Happy Will try to post how it all turns out.

Best regards,

Jaina

Collapse -
THANKS frank
by stephen274 / March 18, 2009 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Again!

this will surely help...

Collapse -
This might help my situation too
by d.riseberg / April 13, 2009 1:21 AM PDT

I put up a post about backing up to an external drive, from a networked laptop to my external drive on my desktop. My external drive is on K:\. Could this same type of script work here?

Collapse -
Well..
by FrankQC / April 13, 2009 1:55 AM PDT

I am not 100% sure but if you check in your My Computer and it sees your network hard drive as an actual storage drive, then it should work.

Try it and if it works, awesome. If it doesn't I'll look around and give you links on how to do it.

Collapse -
I can only get so far.
by d.riseberg / April 13, 2009 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well..

I allowed for Media Sharing on the desktop & notebook. I set up sharing privileges on the Pocket Media. When I go into Backup & Restore (Vista), I choose to save onto the network. I hit browse, and my dekstop pc shows up. Under that, the Pocket Media is there. I then select the folder that holds my wifes backups. It then asks me for a user name and passwork. My Pocket Media doesn't have a password or user name to it. If I use my wifes user name and password from her pc, I get the following error:

The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:

No mapping between account names & security ID's was done.
(0x0070534)

Please ensure the network location is valid.

I feel like I'm almost there, but not quite. thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.