PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need audio advise

by archibiz / November 16, 2004 4:20 AM PST

I have a lot of old vinyl and cassettes that I want to transfer to digital format on my computer. Since the source of these formats are analog, and the typical line-in on a sound card is analog, I am wondering how I can best tranfer the audio data to digital. My stereo receiver does not have a digital output, only inputs. I guess what I am asking is for the "best" means to convert old format audio to digital and what hardware/software should I be looking at? Particularly the sound card and the proper input to the PC for capturing the digital conversion.

thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need audio advise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need audio advise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need audio advise
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Need audio advise
Collapse -
by Zoidburgh / November 16, 2004 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Need audio advise

In addition to that simple wiring set up there is some very good software by Steinberg called "Clean Up" I think which is specifically designed to digitally remove the hiss and crackle associated with vinyl and tape.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by Earthquake McGoon / November 26, 2004 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Need audio advise

I am doing exactly what you are trying to do. Transfer old LPs to my hard-drive and to CDs (I assume). I guess ignorance is bliss, because I installed RealPlayer (after many annoying pop-ups, etc.) and found that for $19.95 I could have (among other things) the option of recording from "line-in" or "mic" jacks on my sound card. All I did then was run a cable from the "phones" jack on my old turntable to the "line-in" jack on my sound card. After opening RealPlayer, I chose "record from line-in or mic" and followed the step-by-step procedure which was kind of intuitive. With a few trial & error guesses, you will be off and running! I have not found this option with Windows Media Player, and queries to MS produced no satisfactory replys except for computer generated "FAQ" answers. If they can't be bothered, neither can I.

Collapse -
by tbonehauer / December 4, 2004 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Need audio advise

I am also recording over to cd. All i did was run a cable from my stereo to my computers line in...i use the program called Sound Capture. Only bad part is 60min of music takes 60min to record as said earlier.

www.magicsofts.com has the program and its free just like all things that are wonderful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?