HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Need Assistance in Selecting a Device!

by justinjlaplante / December 4, 2008 9:45 AM PST

I recently purchased an HTC Touch Diamond. Unfortunately, the phone really isn't my cup of tea: I'm not a fan of Windows Mobile or touch screens.

I've been researching phones for a few days now but can't seem to find anything; Europe gets all the decent cell phones and I live in Santa Barbara, California! I'll list a few of the features that are important to me:

-Must be GSM, I have T-Mobile
-Must have a QWERTY keyboard (I text a lot)
-A decent calendar
-Well organized and extensive call/text history
-Wi-fi with a decent browser (Opera!) would be nice but not a big deal

Because of my location I can't use 3G service so I really could care less. I don't use my phone for music, pictures, games, or other multimedia so those features aren't important to me either.

Some of the cheaper-end messaging phones, like Samsung's Gravity or Propel, seem like they would satisfy my needs, but their operating systems are poor/cheap. Back in the day I had a Nokia 6820 and loved it to death. The LG KT610 seems perfect, however it's a tri-band European model so I don't think it will work. Sad Help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Assistance in Selecting a Device!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Assistance in Selecting a Device!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I still think the G1 might work for you
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2008 11:12 PM PST

Even though it's touch screen, it also has a pretty nice keyboard from what I saw. You wouldn't have to deal with the complexities of WM either.

T-Mo didn't roll out 3G in your part of CA yet, or is it only in your home/office that lacks T-Mo 3G(?)

best,
Pedro

Collapse -
Re:
by bknowledge / December 5, 2008 5:11 AM PST

If you're willing to give WM another try the T-mobile Wing or Palm Centro may be good choices for you. If you use outlook for your calendar now then try them because the wing works great for me. All of my outlook reminders to pay bills & especially for birthdays show up on the phone without me checking the calendar.
If not the G1 would be a good choice. You just have to transfer your calendar to G-mail.

Collapse -
by justinjlaplante / December 5, 2008 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

It may just be the TouchFlow 3D that I'm hating and not Windows Mobile, but I'm unsure. I don't want the G1 however, it's very expensive and I'd rather just wait until the operating system has matured a little more. Especially since my part of CA doesn't get T-mobile's 3G service: I wouldn't be able to use most of the phone's advanced features.

I honestly don't use outlook for my calendar, I just keep a physical one on my wall and enter the appointments into my phone manually. Thus, syncing the phone with Windows really is not a big deal to me. It's just nice to be able to check my schedule on the go.

Collapse -
RE:
by bknowledge / December 9, 2008 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Have you looked into the blackberry pearls. They have every thing that you want and you can get yahoo to go which is free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.