HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

need an original settings list for local security options

by gklein / November 15, 2004 3:44 PM PST

XP pro; pent4; 512ram;
cannot logon bank secure web site.
I have worked with internet security options and privacy; removed all parasites with Adaware; removed spyware; updated McAfee and ran virus scan.

Many of my Administrative Tools/local security options differ from another WinXP Pro computer that can get on secure web sites. It is difficult to compare the two computers because the arrangment of lines differ and I do not know how to arrange them alphbetically. (or spell it)

I think it may be helpful to have a listing of how the original local security options are set.

Or what am I missing here ?
Thanks to all for helping.
Gene, Florida

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need an original settings list for local security options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need an original settings list for local security options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) - - P.S.- no anti-virus firewall or windows XP firewall
by gklein / November 15, 2004 3:57 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) P.S.-2; I uninstalled SP2 thinking that might help. NO
by gklein / November 15, 2004 8:54 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: need an original settings list for local security option
by viperone / November 15, 2004 4:14 PM PST

Hi !

Few ideas......
Do you have the "keyfile" for the bank installed ?
Do you have the right Java-script installed ?
Have you tried to disable your (if installed)pop-up stopper(s)?
If you have "secret-maker" installed, disable it when banking.
Have you tried to disable your firewall(s) ?
Have you tried to use the "recomended settings" option in your Ie settings menu ?

Good luck ! Happy
Viper

Collapse -
by gklein / November 15, 2004 8:39 PM PST

Few ideas......
YES-Do you have the "keyfile" for the bank installed ?
YES-Do you have the right Java-script installed ?
YES-Have you tried to disable your (if installed)pop-up stopper(s)?
CAN'T FIND ONE-If you have "secret-maker" installed, disable it when banking.
BOTH ARE DISABLED-Have you tried to disable your firewall(s) ?
YES-IF Ie IS INTERNET EXPLORER-Have you tried to use the "recomended settings" option in your Ie settings menu ?

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 15, 2004 7:28 PM PST

Many banking sites require popups to be enabled. Check your settings if using a popup blocker.

Collapse -
FWIW
by Cursorcowboy / November 15, 2004 10:38 PM PST

1. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (Image) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (Image).

2. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "Setting Up Security Zones."

b. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

c. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

Collapse -
GREAT-"Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" program- thanks
by gklein / November 16, 2004 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: FWIW

Many thanks. MS Baseline Security Analyzer not only finds the errors but leads you to fixing them. It also finds updated needed that Windows Update alone did not find.
Other sites helpful too. Going through the long process and hopefully will find the problem.

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / November 16, 2004 1:04 AM PST

Gene, I don't know your banking logon requirements. However, the following MSKB article could be of help:

Q813444 - "How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.