HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Need an expert recommendation

by jvalha / December 16, 2003 12:33 AM PST

Thanks in advance for any responses here. I currently have a Sidekick and T-Mobile service. The email feature rocks, but the phone is terrible. I need to get a new cell phone quick. Price is no object. I don't want a camera, don't want to play MP3s or games. I just want a really good phone. Is this more a function of the network than the phone? Verizon, AT & T, Sprint, etc. I am tired of constantly dropping calls, getting poor coverage, etc. Who has found something that works and works well?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need an expert recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need an expert recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need an expert recommendation
by murph518 / December 17, 2003 2:08 PM PST

I have heard that T-Mobile does not have clear service. Same for AT&T. If money is no object try changing to Verizon, Sprint or Nextel. Nextel's plan are a little pricy. Verizon's plans I do not know about, but their service claims to be the best by some. I have Sprint which is clear and perfect for me, since I do not get Verizon service at home. As far as dropped calls are concerned, that happens with all carriers. I just purchased a Sanyo VM4500 which is unbelievable. I don't know what you are looking for your phone to do, but short of PDA this one does it.
Good Luck!

Collapse -
by TitansArmada / February 8, 2004 9:28 PM PST

jvalha,

The motorola v300 is a good phone.. it does have a camera in it, but it's a nice phone. I have the Cingular v400 which is pretty much the same phone. Samsung phones are pretty nice as well. but I would say go for the v300. it's got MP3 ringtones, so you know the sound quality is good. The OS of the phone seems stable way way better then the t720's. and Changable faceplates. I say go for the v300. Or, if you find a phone thats on a different carrier like. Cingular, AT&T you can always unlock it to work on T mobile's network Happy
Good Luck Happy

Thanks,

TitansArmada

Collapse -
by limeyprat / February 27, 2004 1:02 AM PST

All depends on where you live and if you travel. If you travel hands down Verizon is the best. It's the older/larger network but is a little more expensive. Ask your friends what they use and what parts of the city it does and does not work in and see how that works for you. My Nextel worked great except at freeway interchanges (not sure why), and in a few cities in the L.A. area. Oh, and Cingular and T-mobile a very similar they even share some cell towers. It's all GSM. Remember every time your contract is up ask around I use to recommend AT&T a lot more before they switched from TDMA to GSM. But give it time they'll finish the switch over the network will be better and prices will go up a bit after they entice everyone to switch.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.