Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need an easy to use website creator

by bkay / August 22, 2009 2:49 AM PDT

I have a couple of websites that are REALLY simple. Nothing moves, no rollovers no oddball stuff. They just have words with lots of pictures, a few hyperlinks, multiple pages and a contact page. These are on godaddy.com.

I have another one on rootsweb.com that is basically the same.

One was done with a proprietary godaddy.com product they no longer support. It still works most of the time, but the website could really use an update. The other two I paid someone to do.

I need to update them regularly with current information.

I own Microsoft Expression Web. I've bought dummies books of every description. I never make it past page 10. It still looks like it's written in greek. I actually did get through constructing a whole site once (with a template), but it had errors and I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I had to pay someone again.

Is there program out there that is simple to use and not intended for someone who makes their living building website? I checked out one of the dummies books from the library and found it used dreamweaver. Adobe is never simple, plus it's $400.00.

I already have one expensive program I can't use. HELP!

Bkay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need an easy to use website creator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need an easy to use website creator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you have two choices.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

There is no easy way to do web site coding, and I feel you have two options.

1] Persevere. You have the books, go through them and learn by trial and error. Did you know that you can construct web pages that you save onto your own computer, and use your own browser to test them out? It's a great way to see how they look, compared to how you want them to look.

Google is a great resource for finding tips on HTML and other web coding. Also, you may find some useful tips in CNET's
Web design and hosting forum.

2] Get the site done professionally. Good sites are done by professional web site designers, and they are expensive.

It really comes down to what you want your web site to do, professional corporate, commercial online retail, blog site, family photos, they all have different requirements.

Mark

Collapse -
OK, so if I hire someone...
by bkay / August 22, 2009 8:51 AM PDT

usually, it's not that expensive to get the site done, as I know what I want and it's pretty straight forward. Where I run into problems is on updates.

I'm a personal chef and need to post a new menu each week. That's where it gets expensive. I put a query on Craig's list a couple of months ago. One person offered to do it and teach me to update it. Is that reasonable? Would that be so time consuming to learn?

bkay

Collapse -
Again its difficult to say.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 8:24 PM PDT

I would say this though.

A Chef's menu items list, as important as it is, is just a list, whether it is on a printed page, a web site, a blackboard, or any other visible media.

Think about it like this. You have a blackboard in your establishment showing your "Today's Menu", (sorry, may be blackboard is not the right term to use nowadays).

To change any item on the list, you wipe it out, and insert your new item. The style of the blackboard, any surrounding patterns or notices, remains the same, but just the items change.

That is the same in a web page. The 'list' of menu items can be changed simply by over-writing them in the HTML code. You can test this yourself. Goto your web site, and in your browser go to File > Save as, (or Save web page as, or similar). Save the page(s) to your hard drive somewhere suitable, where you can find them again.

Now, find that location, find the .html file, right click it and select "Open with". Find Notepad and use that. Be sure you do not select the "Always open this file type with this application" as you only want to view and edit the file with Notepad.

Now, look at that html file. If you can find the menu list, change some items. Save the file, then open your browser, navigate to that html file and open it. Can you see the changes? Experiment with that. It doesn't affect your web site because this is only a copy.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks, good idea
by bkay / August 23, 2009 8:01 AM PDT

Thanks,

You have some great ideas and I really don't want to spend the time to learn web coding.

bkay

Collapse -
Templates
by jeff_windows_team / August 24, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

Without knowledge of html, css etc, your best bet is to just go with a template-based online website builder if you don't want to hire someone/ learn by book/ spend a ton of money on expensive programs. Office Live Small Business from Microsoft is worth looking at if you are looking to try something new- http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.