Computer Help forum

Question

Need an Ad Blocker for IE9

Can someone please suggest an ad blocker that works well with IE9?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need an Ad Blocker for IE9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need an Ad Blocker for IE9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are no well-known ad blockers for IE

In reply to: Need an Ad Blocker for IE9

Collapse -
Answer
Try this......see if it fits

Collapse -
That's not really

In reply to: Try this......see if it fits

That's not really an ad blocker. You can shoehorn that functionality in, but it will also likely have unintended consequences later on that can be exceedingly difficult to troubleshoot if you do not know what the HOSTS file is, and what it's for.

Collapse -
Hello Jimmy........How's things?

In reply to: That's not really

When I put that post in I was thinking.

Jimmy will be along to give me heck.
Glad to see I was not wrong.

Seems easy enough for the OP to try......if it does not fit......turn it off.

Collapse -
That would be

In reply to: Hello Jimmy........How's things?

That would be because the HOSTS file is along the lines of the registry. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're best off just leaving it alone. Of course if you know what you're doing, you tend to leave them alone anyway.

If the OP, or anyone else, modified the HOSTS file, then each and every time there's some kind of an issue connecting to any website, will need to check that first. So what happens if 3-6 months from now, the OP forgets they ever even modified the HOSTS file, and is trying to get to some site blocked by it? Or maybe some website uses a script function that is hosted on some website blocked by that file. They could spend hours, days, weeks, who knows how long trying to trace down some kind of browser or malware issue that doesn't exist, and we wouldn't be able to help them because they wouldn't think to tell us they had a modified HOSTS file. It's pretty easy to see someone writing it off as damage to the OS if any malware were ever to be found on the system, and when Internet Explorer is involved, that's practically a given. All the while, the solution is really simple, but the OP doesn't know enough to mention it, or doesn't even remember doing it.

The HOSTS file on Windows is just a remnant from Microsoft porting the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack to form the basis of Winsock anyway. There's a reason they buried it deep inside the Windows subdirectory where most people would never think to go looking. Same reason they never provided any sort of GUI front end to it, making it easy to add/remove domains. Some people just need to learn how to take a hint.

Collapse -
Hosts

In reply to: That would be

You've expressed your opinion about a hosts in these forums more than a few times.

It's obvious your a Hosts Lover.

I must agree with you as I've used a hosts for many years with no problems......works fine.

Collapse -
Oh good

In reply to: Hosts

Oh good, the magic rock defense!

I have a magic rock that keeps tigers away! You say there are no tigers in the city? See how well my magic rock works!

Or we could call it the "Works for me" defense.

It works for me, and so naturally my experiences will accurately represent the sum total of experiences of every single other person on the planet.

Either way, it's a logical fallacy. The HOSTS file has its place, but that place is as a quick and dirty DNS. Maybe I get tired of typing in 192.168.1.1 to access my router config, so I set up my HOSTS file so I can just type in "router" and it takes me to it. Or Maybe I have a dozen or so systems in a LAN, and it's easier to remember which system is which if I give them a name as opposed to just an IP address. That is the sort of thing the HOSTS file was intended for, and then it was largely supplanted by DNS which is much better equipped to work on a large scale. Even on Unix systems the HOSTS file is largely a vestigial byproduct of a bygone age that is rarely used. It's always the Windows users who discover things about 10-15 years later and think it is the absolute coolest thing they have ever seen. After the rest of the computing world has moved on and pretty much forgotten that thing even existed. Go look up a bit about dumb terminals and tell me it doesn't sound almost exactly like cloud computing.

Collapse -
Ahh great idea

In reply to: Oh good

I never thought of using HOSTS for that, opening to my router setup pages.

Thanks Jimmy, it works well

Mark

Collapse -
Actually Jimmy ...

In reply to: Oh good

the hosts file was necessary to Microsoft as it was to BSD and it still is to BSD, Linux, Mac OS and UNIX systems and that is for mixed environment networking and also the reason all locate it in the system directory or in the /etc sub-directory (only exceptions I can think of are Amiga and Symbian as good old OS2).

The hosts file was designed from the start to allow users and administrators to point ANY IP address to a name or vice versa and that is how it is used.

The main objection to using a hosts file for ad blocking is that as the size of the hosts file increases performance starts dragging. It was designed for smaller intranets rather than the Internet but there is nothing wrong with using it.

Your argument that it has the potential to make trouble shooting specific problems difficult is sound but like all else about computers we know that not all end users will be knowledgeable so it is up to those who are a bit more knowledgeable to ASK about the use of such things (kind of like asking what browser, how much RAM, what "bar across the bottom" is actually meant, etc.).

Collapse -
Answer
Super Ad Blocker

Super Ad Blocker worked OK for me.

I now use Kaspersky Internet Security and that includes an excellent ad blocker.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!