Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Need affordable photo software for alterations and mods.

by mike62 / April 10, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

I have read the many links on here talking about Photoshop, GIMP, Photoshop Elements, Picasa, etc. and most are about editing, red eye, and the like. I can get that with most basic programs.

I am assisting my daughter on a project which I need to superimpose (for lack of the technical term) features from one picture to another, i.e. a head from one person to the body of another and so on.

Which program would be best for doing a decent job? Its hard to justify the Photoshop price for what might be a one time project but we want to do a good job but also want something that won't take forever to learn to use.

Which program would make this the simplest? Thanks for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need affordable photo software for alterations and mods.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need affordable photo software for alterations and mods.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
have you tried
by 06Altima / April 10, 2007 6:51 PM PDT

irfanview? you can d/l it free from their

not sure about their crop feature as i've never done any of that.

worth a try.

Collapse -
Try the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)
by FMCook / April 13, 2007 11:22 AM PDT

You also have to install the GTK+ Runtime in order to use GIMP. But it's worth it! It's everything in Photoshop for free!

Collapse -
I think the term is Blending.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 13, 2007 6:14 PM PDT

You would normally superimpose one image on another using Layers and Masking. I think the term is called Blending.

Most good image editing applications will do this. I use Paint Shop Pro, but it is not cheap.

I haven't used GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). Maybe that will work for you. If you need help on Masking, try Googling for something like "Paint Shop Pro, Blending images", (or whichever application you use, and remove the quotes from the search keywords).


Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!