Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

need advice- wireless or satelite

by sassy101833 / November 8, 2004 9:33 AM PST

I need faster downloads. I am now on dial up but thinking about investing in wireless or satelite. I don't play games, mostly doing Genealogy and some shopping + a little surfing. Census pages load very slow. Wireless is $900 installed $50.00 per month with my local ISP. Satelite is $600 installed $60 per month. I live in the boonies The ISP i'm on is the only one available in whole county. Which would be the better buy for me and for what reasons?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need advice- wireless or satelite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need advice- wireless or satelite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: need advice- wireless or satelite
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 12:42 AM PST

Sasafras,

What exactly are they going to do to set up a "wireless" internet connection out in the boonies? Set up an internet node at your house? Or does the company have a "fixed" wireless tower near you? It's worth checking..Normally, wireless access can be paid for through a wireless internet company (Boingo, T-Mobile, etc.) but you simply need a computer with a wireless network card plus the software to connect at a "hot spot". Is there a "hot spot" near you?

Normally, if DSL or cable access are not available, then Satellite is your next best choice for getting a good connection. It's more expensive than DSL or Cable but will provide you with good, high speed connections, "assuming" that the company is reputable and provides good service.

The links below might help:

How does satellite Internet operate?

Wireless Internet Access

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by sassy101833 / November 9, 2004 12:56 AM PST

My ISP has fixed towers in differant locations around the county that delivers the service.(besides delivering dialup which is what i have now) Is that what you meant by a hotspot? I have a desktop PC. am handicapped and this is my recreation. There is no DSL or Cable to this area. so i must either go satelite or tower(they call it wireless internet).I trully appreciate any help given.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 2:01 AM PST

Sasafras,

I'd check users of both systems in your areas and see how the performance is. Generally, a fixed wireless setup will have quicker connection speeds than the satellite versions. Downloading files is a lot quicker with wireless. In addition, there tends to be some "lag time" when using Satellite but most don't notice it much unless playing games online. Based on your price, over a few years, the price will be similar. Weather related issues can be a problem with both services. If service performance is equal, I'd choose the wireless connection, but that's just me.

Read the review at the link below. It will give you some good information to make your decision on:

Fixed wireless vs Satellite

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have satellite
by TONI H / November 9, 2004 2:51 AM PST

When Dishnetwork was doing the installations, I opted for the dual dish...one receiver on the dish is for the tv and one is for the modem. Starband now bills directly for the modem and Dishnetwork bills directly for the tv portion so they are independent of each other regarding service, including shutoff, even though they still use the same dish. Since you are in the boonies, you might want to check into the price of having a dual dish rather than two separate dishes, but this may not be available anymore.

I got a great rate from Starband to come back to them since I had terminated the service when my contract ran out while I was doing some major construction here. $49 per month for a two year contract....which is nearly $30 cheaper than the original contract was...and is competitive with DSL or cable prices in my area (I'm nowhere near my town, so neither of those options are available to me since properties here in the mountain are so far apart from each other that running lines wouldn't be profitable).

The dish to be installed cost $600 and you are better off to have them install it on a pole about 4-5' high so that it's easier to brush off during a snow storm. They can be mounted to a roof or the side of a house if the signal can be easily accessed, but maintenance can be difficult with that type of mount since the dish would be exposed to snow and ice and you wouldn't have an easy way to clear it off to regain the signal.

I get great download speeds.......file sharing is limited to fast download speeds and crappy uploads to somebody else or another computer because Starband sees that type of situation as my computer being used as a server, which isn't allowed for home use....however, transferring files through email or AIM, etc. gives pretty decent speeds since it's not considered to be file sharing.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.